Cleaning brass

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by upsguy, Feb 1, 2011.

1. upsguy

upsguy New Member

When you guys clean brass, do you leave the primer in or take it out? Also, does the cleaning media leave a residue inside the case?
  2. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I tumble first,usually. With some of the finer grade walnut you can avoid jammed primer pockets if you resize prior to tumbling. Also tried ultrasonic with ok results, I personally don't concern myself with inside case cleaning too much
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Most pistol cases get tumbled and then sized/primed on the press. If I need to clean out primer pockets, I'll decap with the univ decap die and then size afterwards.

Rifle brass gets two cleanings, one after decapping and another quick run after sizing to remove any residual lube.

Cleaning media will only leave a residue if you have too much polish or don't let the polish FULLY mix into the media prior to adding your brass. I just changed my media, I gave the new stuff 3 capfuls of Roosters polish and let it run for an hour; I will add a capful every other batch, this I let run for 30 min before adding my brass.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  4. upsguy

upsguy New Member

How do you clean the pockets? Is there a primer pocket cleaning tool?
    I didn't know about adding the media polish having to blend into media first... I tumbled 500 rounds and it looks like media "dust" inside the case, is this gonna effect the powder when it goes bang? Or am I gonna have to wipe that stuff out of every case? Sorry about the stupid questions...
  5. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

I would rather you ask a stupid question than do something stupid....

This is not a stupid question, just something you dont see discussed in the reloading manuals.

Anyhow the dust is normal when you tumble. A lot of people throw in a used dryer sheet with the cases and that cuts down on the dust. No need to worry about the dust inside the case.

There are several different tools out there you can buy to clean the primer pockets, some people bother to clean them, some dont.

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=1&categoryId=8937&categoryString=9315***731***695***

I have the LEE pictured first in the list. Its really the simplest and I think the cheapest out there. One side is for large primer pockets, the other is for small. The pockets dont need to be cleaned back to a shiny like new state. Just need to get any of the built up residue that may be there off.

Hope this helps!
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I started with the Lee. Decided it was a piece of crap. I now use the RCBS primer pocket brushes. Before I got them I used a 1/8" flat screwdriver. Same principle as the Lee, but a lot easier to use, and it did a better job.
  7. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

With pistol brass, I tumble then deprime and size, I don't usually clean the pockets. With rifle brass, I deprime, tumble, size and clean the pockets using the brushes from RCBS.
    Don't worry about the dust inside the cases, it won't affect the powder.
  8. upsguy

upsguy New Member

Cool, thanks alot guys I really appreciate it.
  9. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I also deprime/resize after tumpling, I do use the dryer sheet trick, and I do not clean the primer pocket (normally). I have cleaned the pocket on rifle brass but never have on pistol.
  10. upsguy

upsguy New Member

Whoo hoo!!! I've already cleaned 1500 rounds of once-fired .45ACP brass. I still have a duffel bagfull more .45acp, .38spl and .45 colt...
  11. shorter260513

shorter260513 New Member

I rinse my cases in alcahol to get rid of any residue and dust is this ok I let them dry before working with them
  12. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Why waste good alcohol?;):D
    I just take mine out of the tumbler and load them.
    As long as you let them dry real good I dont see a problem as isopropyl alcohol is like 70% water. I never felt it was necessary go to such lenghts though. JMHO.
  13. Clipper

Clipper Active Member

After tumbling my brass, I dump the media and add about 2 pounds of dry rice. It does a fine job of removing the dust, and when it gets too dirty, I discard it. Rice is VERY cheap, and does a nice job.
  14. Claudius Valarium

Claudius Valarium Member

So. Central TX, AKA the Middle of Flyover Country
    Dryer sheets and rice . . . . sure glad I found you guys. Thanks.
    CV