Cleaning cast bullets

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Appliancedude, May 20, 2012.

1. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Active Member

Ok so a few years ago I was givin some very questionable rounds. The primers on all the bullets were pre-struck. Each primer had a dimple in it. So I pulled the bullets tossed the powder and fired off the primers. And they all went off.

Anyways fast forward a couple years. I find the bullets I had pulled out and tossed in a box. But the lube that was on the bullets has collected alot of debree. So what to do. I tossed them in my tumbler only to have tumbling media get stuck in it too. Oh well it was worth a shot. Is there a good way to clean these off? The bullets are all good, just dirty.
  2. JLA

JLA Moderator

drop em in a pot of hot water. the lube will melt off and take the debris with it. Then just dry them with a clean dry towel and re lube them.
  3. Appliancedude

thanks, I know what I'm doing tomorrow
  4. Appliancedude

Ok bullets are clean, now, how do I lube them? What should I get and how do I do it. I don't cast my own so not sure what to do
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

6. mikld

mikld Member

Tumble lubing will prolly be best for a starter. Easiest method will be with alox. Place bullets in a butter tub (clean of course), squirt a little alox in/around the bullets and swirl the bullets around in the alox to get a thin even coat. A thin light tan colored coat is all that's needed on the bearing surface of the bullet as the lube groove need not be filled. Spread the coated bullets on a sheet of wax paper to dry and when dry, reload as usual.

For low-regular velocity handgun ammo you could "finger lube" a few bullets (but this gets old real quick). Take some Chapstick and scrape some off on your fingers and stuff/fill the lube groove of the bullets, Load and shoot.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58 look here for tons of info about bullet lubes, especially the sticky "Tumble Lubing-Made easy and Mess Free". I've used 45-45-10 for lubing my .44 magnum bullets...
    Last edited: May 21, 2012