Cleaning dies

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Evins74s, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Evins74s

Evins74s New Member

Hello all, new to this forum and reloading as well. I am reloading the very popular .223 rem and .308 win rounds. My question to everyone here is how do you clean out the case lube from inside the die after resizing and removing the primer? I am using the LEE case lube that comes in the 4oz tube.

Thanks
    Evins74s
  2. oldgunfan

oldgunfan New Member

I spray brake cleaner then let them dry, then take them apart and try to push a rag though them.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  3. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I disassemble the dies completely, spray down with carb or brake cleaner. Wipe all the parts down with a lint free cloth (I use the blue shop towels) and run one through the die bodies. Oil everything up good and reassemble. Just be sure to clean them before your next use.
  4. oldpapps

oldpapps New Member

If what you are worried about is excess case lube left in the sizing die, you are using too much lube. Bet you are getting cavities in the brass at the shoulders. Lighten up on the lube. You only need enough to keep the case from sticking in the die and easy the motion.

If what you are worried about is bullet lube from cast bullets, expand/flare the case mouth just a little before seating. The flare will be pressed in during the seating process.

If what you are worried about is cleaning the dies before/after use. I don't (Don't yell at me, I'm a nasty boy) but consider the die as nothing more than a chamber and clean the die chamber the same. When new, I break them down and clean similar to the ways listed above.

Enjoy,

OSOK
  5. bobpayne44

bobpayne44 New Member

i usually break mine down and throw them in the hornady magnum sonic cleaner using the gun cleaning solution for a few minutes, gets them super clean.
  6. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I use hornady one shot gun cleaner a dry lube, maybe a bit more than carb cleaner, but the dry lube allows the need to lube every 3rd case or so, since using this method its been years since I've dented a case or had one stuck.