Cleaning grease question

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by 45nut, Sep 25, 2012.

1. 45nut

45nut Active Member

I have a Lyman's Great Plains Rifle .50 Hawken copy. I hadn't shot it in a while. Decided to take it and smoke up the county. I snapped some caps with the tissue trick to make sure I was getting fire through the hole and went to shoot.

Loaded her up and had this vagrant thought of maybe doing a powder/patch first just to make sure everything was okay. I didn't and I got my first ball pull job since I started shooting BP way back in 73 or 74. I didn't even have one so I had to go to BPS and buy one. Put the barrell in a bucket of water and pulled the ball the next day.

Cleaned the barrel today how I was trained, boiling hot soapy water and let it air dry. Now the question, do you use some kind of grease after cleaning? And what?
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

SBGO here , ed's red before i became a SBGO convert

for each pint of mix of ed's red i'd add 150 grams of lanolin ( wool grease)

no need with the SBGO its got lithium and moly far better ..
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  3. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

I run a patch with a fair coating of bore butter on it then a dry patch. No problems.
  4. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I've used T/C's bore butter for two decades now, works like a charm. Not as important as what you use (within reason of course), but rather that you just take regular care each time you shoot.

I still have a lard can almost full of bear grease from a buddy's bear years ago, used that for patch lube for a while also. Just rendered down bear fat, lots of uses in the black powder arena.

SBGO is a favorite around here though too, can't go wrong with that.
  5. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

I use Bore Butter but I always fire a blank charge to burn it all out before I load it. Don't do that with petroleum based lubes. If you use anything petro based make sure its all cleaned out before you load it.
  6. Gunslinger9378

Gunslinger9378 New Member

Dear 45nut,
    Really depends on the climate you live in. In an Arizona summer, bore butter will melt and run all over the place. I have it on good authority that if you mix BB with some beeswax, it will stiffen up quite a bit. You'd have to experiment on the ratio's of BB to Beeswax though!
    Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
  7. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

Bore Butter will run in anybody's summer heat but he was asking about protection after cleaning.
  8. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

I use nothing but SBGO.
  9. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2012