Cleaning Kits

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dennis C, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Dennis C

Dennis C New Member

Just was wondering what everyone has. I am looking to get a decent cleaning kit instead of my fishing box full of random stuff and some of it is broken. I would like something that will last a long time and could clean most common calibers and gauges.
  2. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

3. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Just a pieced together kit here...

I've got two Pro-Shot rifle-length stainless rods (one .17-cal and one .22 cal), and one Pro-Shot .22cal pistol rod. the rest is just like you've got Dennis...a small tackle box full of brushes and jags for the calibers I've got. My assortment covers pretty much every step between .204 and .323 bore for rifles and .357 up to .45 for pistol.
    I've had very good luck with those Pro-Shot rods. The bearings in the handle are smooth so they don't hang up.
    Some guys like the carbon fiber or the coated steel rods...claiming less more damage. hasn't been a problem for me, so I think that's just personal preference.

I've got a few of the universal loop-ends that'll cover any bores that I don't have a jag for. They usually don't get used much except for running a oil patch down the bore for the final storage oil-down. I prefer a good jag and a fitted patch to the loops.

I buy brushes whenever I find em on sale. I like to have at least 2 or 3 of each bore that I use and I keep em segregated by bore size once they're in use (for example, a .257-.264 brush will only get used for .257s after I've used it in the smaller bore...it'll be too small to be effective in a .264 after it's squeezed through the smaller bore. Same thing for .277-.284 brushes, etc etc)

Patches...I buy a big bag of whatever 10-12ga shotgun patch is on sale when I'm running low. Flannel or t-shirt material...I'm not fussy. I've got a scissor in the patch box and I'll cut em to fit as needed, sized to give a nice snug fit on the jag.

For solvents, I've got a gallon of Kroil on the bench for general solvent and either Sweet 7.62 or Barnes CR-10 for copper solvent.

Oil...I've got an OLD pint bottle of Break-Free CLP (the old formula) but I usually use the left-over partial quarts of 5-20, 5-30, or 10-30 motor oil that collect out in the garage. I'm not fussy about brands...
  4. gunguy25

gunguy25 New Member