Cleaning Lever Actions

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

JayL
    (12/11/02 11:13:39 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Lever Gun Cleaning
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have a fairly basic question. I've been a shooter all my life, but have up to now favored bolt action rifles, almost to the exclusion of all other sorts. I do have some experience with M1 Garands, M14/M1A's and M16's (Never owned or wanted an AR).

The question is this. I have picked up a couple Winchester Model 94 Trappers, one in .357 and athe other in .45 Colt. Beyond cleaning the bore and chamber, and dabbing at the easily reachable portions of the action, what other areas should I worry about cleaning, and other than serious disassembly, how is such cleaning accomplished? I am reasonably proficient at repairing, tweaking and tuning revolvers, 1911's and bolt actions, but this is a whole new ball game to me. What should I watch out for?

Thanks!
    Jay L

"Move, Shoot, Communicate!"

75BDdude
    (12/11/02 11:27:26 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Lever Gun Cleaning
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well Jay... this will probably get some laughs. But I had the same issue. I have a '94 in .45 Colt and it was kinda gritty and dry from the factory. I cleaned and lubed normally for the first couple years I owned it but I just felt like I HAD to clean it more thoroughly. And... I've dissassembled a mess of firearms in my day, but I'm starting to get a little lazy these days. So here's what I did. I removed all wood and the magazine tube assembly. I cleaned normally... then I hosed the sucker completely with throttle body cleaner. Now when you do THAT you have to get some oil back on it real quick or you'll get rust. What I used was a home brew of 40% Mobil-1 gear oil and 60% WD-40 mixed in a pump spray bottle. (I have a gallon of WD-40) I soaked the mother down with that stuff getting it into everything. I then laid it on a towel on the workbench and let it run off overnight. The next day I wiped it down, cleaned the bore, re-assembled and it's been slicker than frog snot ever since. And it does not feel wet or over oiled. I did this 6 months ago and I've shot and cleaned probably 10 times since then. It realy helped to get that factory grit feel out of it WITHOUT me having to dissassemble the beast. Anyway...just letting you know there are ways to get the thing REAL clean without disassembling.....

JayL
    (12/12/02 8:04:35 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Lever Gun Cleaning
    Thanks!! I was kind of leaning toward something like that but hadn't figured out what to use for the cleaner OR the replacement lube. Your ideas on both of those are both ingenious and sound like an excellent balance to me.

I appreciate the help!
    Jay L

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (12/12/02 10:33:27 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Lever Gun Cleaning
    When you do that just make sure to remove any wood and plastic as those types of solvents could mess them up. Gun Scrubber is a good one but expensive. I use the 79 cent cans of carb cleaner from wallymart.
    In 49 states ignorance is a crime. In the other one it is bliss.

75BDdude
    (12/12/02 10:02:19 pm)
    Excellent point Wabpig. I didn't think to mention the part about plastic as there isn't any on my '94. But if you do this to any gun that has plastic.... or painted parts for that matter.... make sure you remove those parts first or use a cleaner that won't hurt 'em. I be speakin' from experience THERE too.

75BDdude
    (12/12/02 10:05:25 pm)
    Man... can I type or what ?!?!

I meant say Warpig .... Think I'll go hit the Nyquil one more time. I'm crawling back under my rock now....

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (12/13/02 9:00:11 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Lever Gun Cleaning
    Throw that Nyquil away and tip back a bottle of cheap hootch. Garanteed to make your typing better
    In 49 states ignorance is a crime. In the other one it is bliss.

JayL
    (12/14/02 12:45:18 am)
    Thanks folks, for the warnings on the wood and plastic. I knew about the wood, but now need to check the parts list for any plastic. I don't think there are any major plastic parts in this one, but there could be a washer or self lubing roller, so I better check to make sure.
    Jay L

J Miller 45
    (12/23/02 3:56:07 pm)
    One caution when you disassemble your 94 Winchesters.

DO NOT remove the cartridge lifter spring! These springs take a "set". If you remove them there is a very good chance it won't go back in the same way. Then the lifter will not function properly. Usually it won't return to the downmost position.
    I have had this happen on both pre and post 64 actions.

Now I will strip them down to that point. I will not remove the lifter spring unless it's broke or there is excessive wear.

***If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride."***

outdoorsman260
    (12/24/02 1:24:06 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: lever gun cleaning
    Hey major, will the brake cleaner harm the blueing on guns?

<a href="http://blake.prohosting.com/~redneck4">My webpage</a>

outdoorsman260
    (12/25/02 12:23:12 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: lever gun cleaning
    Thanks major. My dad's Remington 572 needs a major de-gunk job. it's around 30-35 years old, and I don't think he's ever done much in the way of cleaning besides run a few patches through the barrel. I'll test it on a part that's under the pump.
    <a href="http://blake.prohosting.com/~redneck4">My webpage</a>