Cleaning Magazines?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by TranterUK, Oct 27, 2008.

1. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

We all clean our guns, but how many strip and clean their magazines and how often?

As a young cadet I was taught to strip and clean every time I clean the gun, Magazine body, spring, follower and base, but I don't now days.

So what about you?
  2. Kestral

Kestral Member

Am waiting for you to call around & show me how its done.Kestral.Ps Have you read your up to date forum emails yet.?
  3. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

During the cleaning process I wipe down the outside, especially around the top, there is always powder residue. Guns are always cleaned that day or the following day after a visit to the range.
  4. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

No Kestral, but then I don't know what one is or where it might be found. I get PMs and sometimes EMails directly. Have I missed something?

As for calling around, sounds good too me. I have a trip lined up in a couple of weeks to the USA (Boston) but apart from that, nothing.

FOUND IT KESTRAL. I do remember those de cappers. No, I have no idea where or if they can be found now, but will ask around.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2008
  5. When I clean my autos, I always wipe down the mag and follower at the same time and check the spring action. I rarely break the mag down into its components to clean unless I have some reason to believe it is functioning improperly. I make it a policy, however, to change out mag springs and followers periodically if the spring seems to be weakening or I detect undue wear on the follower. In fact, I just did that a few months ago on all my Mod 92 Beretta mags.
  6. Shellback

Shellback New Member

I clean mine every other weekend or so, I shoot ALOT so they need it, also I give em a coat of dry lube after, works great on mags.
    Tim
  7. pawn

pawn New Member

I regularly disassemble and clean all magazine components for my Ruger MKIII.

AK, SKS and Sig P228 mags, I just wipe down with CLP.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  8. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

About every 1,000 rounds or so.
  9. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

If you're going to lube magazines, dry is the only way to go. It doesn't take much dust/dirt/grime/whatever sticking to oil to make feeding unreliable.

I rarely clean mine. I think I've only done it once. When a mag has feeding problems, then I will. Until then, I don't bother.

Of course, the gun I carry doesn't have a magazine. If I carried an auto, I'd probably be more concerned with stopping feed problems proactively.
  10. redhart

redhart New Member

When I shoot IPSC, mags get dumped into the dirt,water, mud etc. they must be cleaned well.
  11. CTM

CTM New Member

usually every 3 months or so if the weapon has been fired much
  12. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Almost never unless I am have problems with feeding.
  13. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

When I clean a firearm, the mags get cleaned too. Never could understand why someone would go through what it takes to clean a firearm, then stick a dirty mags in it.

#1 son came up a few weeks ago to clean the firearm that he borrows for competition. With no prompting, he asked, "where are the mags, I want to do them first" He knows. I just smiled and told him where they were. They were FILTHY too.
  14. TDR911

TDR911 New Member

All depends. I shoot IDPA and other comps. They fall in the dirt and must be cleaned. for normal shooters I would clean them after approx 300 rounds and change the mag spring at least every other year or about 2,000 rounds. At the same time always checking for any signs of malfunction.
    For self defense mags. Your life depends on it. If you carry every day, Check & clean at least every month and after any range trips. Replace the mag spring every year. This also goes for the gun. Clean it every month and you will be supprised at how quickly the lint and dirt get in everything. Clean it, Lube it, Be confident that it is going to function every single time.
    If you have any issues on feeding I would not carry that gun untill I ran at least 1,000 rounds thru it in no less that 3 range trips with no issues.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  15. Oncefiredbrass.net

Oncefiredbrass.net New Member

I have been cleaning my Mags with a Steam cleaner. This is the quickest way for me to get them clean inside and out.
  16. Phonetic Diabetic

Phonetic Diabetic New Member

I wipe mine down after every shooting and try to use a toothbrush inside where it reaches. Nothing further seems to really be needed for me yet as far as magazines go....