Cleaning my dies ???

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Insulation Tim, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I just came to the realization that my LEE Bullet Seating Die is totally gummed up with all of the blue wax that is on LSWC.

I took it apart and scraped it with a screw driver.

Is there a better way to clean them. A soak in some solvent of some sort?

I have a new set of Dillon dies arriving this week and want to keep them maintained well. Is regular cleaning of dies recommended?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I clean them after every session... A little rem oil to soak then a rag and some q tips. I lube with alox and that stuff gums up quick...
  3. BigJakeJ1s

BigJakeJ1s New Member

Both Dillon and Hornady seating dies come apart without tools for cleaning, and go back together without messing up the settings.

The Dillon seater cannot crimp, the entire body has to be screwed in/out of the press to adjust seating depth, and the lock ring does not lock in place if the die is removed from the press or tool head.

The Hornady seater has a sliding alignment sleeve, crimp ring, optional micrometer adjustment, and an excellent cross-bolt lock ring.

Andy
  4. Over The Hill

Over The Hill New Member

Has anyone tried a gun de-greaser solvent or even brake cleaner for automobiles to clean dies? I don't think there is anything in the dies that would be affected by these solvents. then follow up with some REM oil.
  5. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

I use WD-40. Wood dowels to ram out the built up plugs of lead in my seater dies. Regular bore cleaning patches to finish up.
  6. ofitg

ofitg New Member

I had some dies which were greased and put into storage for several years..... the grease dried and the coating was like shellac.
    I finally soaked them in Coleman Camping Fuel (ie, "white gas"), which softened the crud. Was able to remove the crud with wire brushes and paper towels.
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have used brake cleaner followed by pistol rod with regular patches. Seems to work fine for me.
  8. Lee C.

Lee C. New Member

Brake cleaner has work good ror me, and a very light coat of oil.
  9. mikld

mikld Active Member

Soak 'em in Mineral Spirits. When I'm done reloading for the day, I just drop the dies in a small container of Mineral Spirits and Marvel Mystery Oil. Sometimes I'll need to run a brush through them to get out the stubborn lube, but not a whole lot. I just wipe off the outside and let the bore stay coated with the M.S. and oil..
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

MM oil is good stuff. I especially like th MM air tool oil.