Cleaning My Rifle

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by jpg5324, Sep 15, 2012.

1. jpg5324

jpg5324 Member

I have and shoot a .45cal Penn Long Rifle....I use Hoppe's #9 to clean it.
    I read some where that this is not the right cleaner to use. So can anyone tell me what is the right cleaner???? I use Pyrodex:confused::confused:
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

hot water a drop or 6 of lemon fresh detergent ( remove all the old oil and muck) and water ( hot ) rinse and my brushes always works for me

dry with hot air blower ( travel hair dryer) and SBGO well including the touch hole or nipples
  3. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

Jack is right, hot soapy water and a stiff bronze brush if it is really dirty. The Hoppes #9 is for smokeless powder firearms, not black powder or Pyrodex. Best to remove the barrel, stick the breech end in a bucket of hot water, dump some dish detergent down the barrel and run a bronze brush down it a few times to knock out the crud and then use a bore swab to pump water in and out of the nipple (or vent hole if flintlock) until the water runs clean. The pour boiling water down the barrel to rinse it out well. The barrel should then be super hot and will dry itself when stood on end. (Aussies use hairdryers, but then they also wear those odd hats and talk funny.) When it is dry, run an oily patch down the barrel to keep it from rusting.
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i use a hair dryer cause the dust here is iron oxide 10 mins in the sun will dry it but that iron dust starts rust in 3 seconds flat , so i do it in the bathroom where its pretty dust free

i aint got enough hair to use it for anything else but parts drying ;)

if you have a red dust problem watch it red in nature is iron
  5. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

If you use a petroleum based gun oil in the bore after cleaning you will need to swab it all out before you load it. If you use a vegetable based oil popping a cap is usually all you need to do. I usually fire a blank charge before loading just to make sure there's no oil left.
  6. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Take it in the shower with you and then dry the hell out of it and oil it up.
  7. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

Hot soapy water and a brush or tight fitting jag and patch will do get the fouling out. Hoppes does make a black powder solvent, and on the occasions I have used it, it works pretty well. But you will go through a large batch of patches. I generally let the barrel air dry, heat of the water used to clean it generally make the tube hot enough to dry. then I run a greased patch down the barrel, and oil the outside. Past experience has taught me not to do this in the kitchen sink or the bath tub. I love the smell of black powder, my wife has other opinions!
  8. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

At the black powder club that I used to belong to, several of the long time members used a solution of distilled water and Windex. Take a gallon of distilled water and pour out enough of it to be replaced with the contents of a bottle of Windex and there you have it. They all swore this was better than anything else they've tried.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't
  9. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

Windex without ammonia.
  10. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i use windex with lemon,however i use 777 powder which is water soluble.i also to what i call a max clean up using boiling soapy water and a mop.you must use heat gloves but it dries almost immediatly. old semperfi