The Firearms Forum banner

cleaning patches

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  76Highboy 
#1 ·
the patches that come in the outers box are those synthetic? I bought some patches,cotton, and i don't like them.:eek:

#2 ·
It's been a long time since I've actually bought "real" cleaning patches. But I'm pretty sure the Hoppes and Outers brand are some synthetic material.

I usually use old T-shirt material for patches. Due to OSHA and NFPA regs, I have to wear 100% cotton work clothes so that's what I've got on hand.
My old shirts go into a rag bag when they get too ratty to wear and I snip off the right size for whatever caliber I'm cleaning at the time.
When I used to buy bulk patches, it was basically just a rag bag cut to size with assorted types of cloth in em...some flannel, some t-shirt type material, some misc stuff. Never really noticed any difference in cleaning between material types.

#3 ·
Take a micrometer to the fabric store and pick out some white flannel that matches correct thickness of reg cleaning patches, super cheap. Just gotta cut it up into squares, .22 I do 1.25" squares. Might get some strange looks but hey...

#5 ·
Take a micrometer to the fabric store and pick out some white flannel that matches correct thickness of reg cleaning patches, super cheap. Just gotta cut it up into squares, .22 I do 1.25" squares. Might get some strange looks but hey...
Hmmm....I've never bothered to check the thickness of my old rag bag material before using it for patches. :)
I do agree with ya that the flannel patches work the best...but I go through more cotton Ts than I do flannels.
Recycling a ripped up work shirt is even cheaper than a trip to JoAnn fabrics. :D

#8 ·
I bought a few yards of flannel years ago and it's still serving me well. It's just a tad thick though, should have brought the calipers or micrometer! had to cut them a tiny bit smaller to not be a bear going through the bore. Works fine though with the parker style jigs. Comparing it to the price of commercial patches, it's stupid cheap.

same for pillow ticking, I cut my own muzzleloader patches, that stuff is normally all about the same thickness.

#9 ·
It's been a long time since I've actually bought "real" cleaning patches. But I'm pretty sure the Hoppes and Outers brand are some synthetic material.

I usually use old T-shirt material for patches. Due to OSHA and NFPA regs, I have to wear 100% cotton work clothes so that's what I've got on hand.
My old shirts go into a rag bag when they get too ratty to wear and I snip off the right size for whatever caliber I'm cleaning at the time.
When I used to buy bulk patches, it was basically just a rag bag cut to size with assorted types of cloth in em...some flannel, some t-shirt type material, some misc stuff. Never really noticed any difference in cleaning between material types.
Same here.

#10 ·

Goodwill has regular sales. Get the white 100% cotton.

Don't overdo cleaning with 22LR barrels. I clear the dirt,

then use a little Automatic

Transmission Fluid for long storage between shoots.

#11 ·
I can remember a time when my cleaning kit consisted of a nail, a string, a peice of cloth, and some motor oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.