Cleaning really a pain?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Pastor C, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Pastor C

Pastor C New Member

I hear horror stories about cleaning and disassembling 1911's, are they really that bad to clean compared to a GLOCK? / or is it apples and oranges?
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

They are more difficult to take apart than a Glock or Beretta, but that does not mean they are hard to take apart. I've never heard any horror stories about it. Like just about everything else, you just have to learn how.
  3. 3-tours

3-tours New Member

strip it assemble it. over+over+over+over,untill you can do it blind folded in under 30 sec. and i garentee you'll never have to ask your question again. this is how the corps tought me in 1965 and it's held me in good sted ever since. remember practice makes perfect
  4. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

they certainly aren't enough to make a preacher cuss...
  5. techoca

techoca New Member

Cleaning a 1911 is not difficult. One only needs a few times to become familiar with the gun. There are numerous videos on the web as well as printed material to get you started.

Sure, cleaning a Glock is simple-just throw it into the dishwasher. It is nice to handle a 1911.
  6. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

Cleaning a 1911 is not that difficult. Harder than a Walther or a Berreta, but no big deal. Way easier than a Ruger!!!:D
  7. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

8. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The 1911 is a little more difficult to clean than a Glock in only that it has more parts. Very simple once you get the hang of it. I learned by watching www.youtube.com
  9. Pastor C

Pastor C New Member

Gotcha ---phew!-- ok I was getting a little worried there . My friend said he had to take his gun back to his gunsmith in a box for him to put it back together but after talking to him today he said it was the FIRST TIME he tried it
  10. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

When in doubt read the directions. Find a disassembly book that has a 1911 assembly/disassembly procedure and follow it several times and it will be readily apparent after that. The 1911 is a simple gun and not difficult to disassemble but it is not as easy as a Beretta. The toughest part for me is getting the barrel bushing out without shooting the recoil plug across the room.

LDBennett
  11. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Be extremely careful of that as you could easily lose an eye. The first time I disassembled my new Kimber the recoil plug launched, never to be found. I always make sure my face is no where near the end of that thing.
  12. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

My 2c, the 1911 is 'better' and more user friendly to clean than a Glock.

First, subject to learning how, and what worth knowing isnt, you can strip a 1911 on you kitchen table down to the last pin. You cant do that with a Glock.

Second, I for one find the disassembly latch on a Glock fidley and awkward. The 1911 is simple and positive.

Third, there are more inaccessible small places in the Glock for debris to hide. The 1911 can get pretty dirty and still work.

I also have an ongoing argument with cleaning Glock mags with their silly bottom plate removal system. I think it would be easier to saw the bottom off. Though easy to clean, it may then result in poor performance once re loaded.

Oh, and regarding 'horror stories' about stripping 1911s, you just need to be shown how, there is no horror'
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2009
  13. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Insulation Tim:

I actually have a metal tool, a wrench that fits the barrel bush for rotating the bush out of the slide, with a protrusion that blocks the escape path for the recoil spring plug when the barrel bushing is released from the slide. My Delta Elite 10 mm has one strong recoil spring and even with the tool the plug can still be hard to control. But I haven't lost a plug yet in over 20 years of 1911 ownership!

LDBennett
  14. 3-tours

3-tours New Member

the reason the 1911a1 was the go to weapon in WWII was for the ease of cleaning.And even if totally grunged it would still function flawlessly.Also, as far as tools were concerned,a p38 was all the tools a marine ever needed,other then their own teeth that is. sailors just dipped it in the ocean and rinsed it in the bilge water. the only exception was the army,but after recuiting a few monkeys to show them how ,most[ not all mind you] after awhile got it.
  15. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  16. doug66

doug66 New Member

Practice makes perfect. I used to hate to clean my Ruger MK II 22 pistol. Over time it becomes old hat.
  17. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

Great post ...

I have done 1911s for so long I have forgotten about my first time. Now the AUG A3: The first time was a learning experience. By the third time - it was simple. As doug66 stated, "Practice makes perfect."
  18. Carne Frio

Carne Frio Member

1911's in 45 acp are not a problem to take down, clean and reassemble.
    Less enjoyable, for me, are my 10mm 1911's. The springs are harder to
    deal with.
  19. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

As our esteemed member in England mentioned, you can completely disassemble an original GI spec 1911 "down to the last pin" using no tools but other parts of the pistol. That's how Mr. Browning designed it.

With a little practice you can do it with your eyes closed. With a little more study and practice you can keep your eyes closed scramble the parts, and put it back together again.

Once, this is how apprentice gun smiths were trained. Sometimes called "learning to see with your fingertips".
  20. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

I forgot to mention - do some reading at this site about your 1911. The left hand colum has several links.