Cleaning really a pain?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Pastor C, Jun 14, 2009.

1. 40CalJoe

40CalJoe New Member

The "horror stories" not doubt come from people who want things to be automatic. It does take more time to clean my 1911 than any of my Glocks. But I find the time relaxing.
  2. fyimo

fyimo New Member

Most 1911's come apart really easy and cleaning is a snap. In the Arny we had to field strip and and reassemble them quickly so we practiced until we could do it blind folded. Now some of the new ones with custom fit bushings requiring a special wrench to take them down and it takes longer but it isn't really a pain.

Now my Sig P220 comes apart in 4 seconds and back together almost as fast. Now that's easy. :)
  3. Wildalaska

Wildalaska Former Guest

never had a problem cleaning a 1911, nor any other pistol, I just hate it :)
    The easiest pistol of them all to detail strip and clean is the SIG P210
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Dang it man.... making me drool with envy so early in the morning.... Would love to have a 210 some day. I agree, Sigs are the easiest take down. I can field strip my 220 and 229 , re-assemble within 2 minutes easily. Never actually timed myself though...... yep, I'm off to find my stop watch.

My .02 on cleaning and how to avoid the dreaded "where did this part go" is this:

Learn the function and purpose of each individual part; then it's going to be easy to clean, inspect and know what is causing problems if you do have any malfuntions.

I've found that many weekend plinkers have no real idea what a sear or disconnector is or does in their firearm. I can understand someone that has no idea how to rebuild a tranny or top end, but a gun that only has 20-30 total pieces? I think 99% of gunowners are capable of understanding it, it's just a matter of studying it.

Semper Fi,

Woolley
  5. crockett007

crockett007 New Member

The 1911 service pistol is field stripped for cleaning easily. Literally millions of service members have learned this simple task in basic training. Usually in less than 30 minutes ......there is no horror involved I assure you.