Cleaning table

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gabob, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

My neighbor came by yesterday morning wanting me to design a table to dress hogs and clean fish. I suggested instead of designing it we just go build it. I had quite a bit of wood in my barn and he went to town and got what we needed to finish it out. By 12:30 were finished ( he had to go to work at 1 PM)
    [​IMG]
    Now I can go back to making oak jewelry chests

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

nice craftsmanship! we need more stuff made in America, by Americans, using their hands instead of machines.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I agree. I am going to build a cleaning table for the very same reasons, only im building mine out of stainless steel sheeting. It will be something i will leave outside and with stainless i can just hose it off, wipe it down with clorox wipes and roll it into the corner of the patio.
  4. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Is that pressure treated wood? ( Wolmanized ) If so aren't you worried about the arsenic leaching from the wood into your food? Kids have been known to get arsenic poisoning from play sets that are made of Wolmanized wood merely from hand contact.
  5. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

It is PT wood. He plans to seal it.
  6. geds

geds New Member

I'm far from an expert, but I believe they used several machines in making that fine table. If not, they are faster and better than I thought! And I would wonder about their sanity since that is a fine air compressor sitting under the table! :D
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  7. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

I consider this Fine American Craftsmanship and Hand Made, here is why.
    The use of these machines does not constitute Automated. He had to operate these machines to produce this quality work. To repeat myself, In my book this is fine Hand Made American Craftsmanship and it is work like this that is hard to find and getting harder. Keep up the good work.
    BTW, those are some very fine jewelery boxes.
  8. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Look into the possibility of using linseed oil to seal it. Some of the commercial sealers may crack and flake after water sets on it from cleaning also a bleach mixture in the water may react with the sealer. Definitely a nice table especially is he gets that sink operational with a disposal connected will make swift work of any cleaning process. Put a two plank drop panel on the front to give more working room when you plunk a deer onto that baby. Nice table no more fighting on a garage floor or a small worthless table that wobbles while you're dealing with sharp knives and saws!
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Great pictures, and great work Might have to make me something like that. For years I've been putting a piece of plywood across two saw horses.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I second the linseed oil. I did a septic pump out for an old gentleman a couple of weeks ago that pastors at his local church. hes retired and his income is supplemented by custom carpentry. He primarily makes full size rustic crosses for your yard out of split cedar posts and real hemp rope. He seals them with raw linseed oil. He had a swingset he built for his own children in the backyard right over the septic system. I believe he said it was made of maple ro something like that. but it was sealed with linseed oil. and it didnt dawn on me until after a few minutes of talking about it that he said he built it for his own kids, and he said his great grandkids love playing on it still today during the same conversation. That would put that thing about 40 years old if his kids and grand kids had their children by the age of 20. An dit still looked new. no rot at all whatsoever. And the linseed oil isnt sticky. It sorta feels like dried treesap off a peachtree..
  11. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

The tools used for the table were a table saw. Skil saw, air compressor and framing nail gun plus square and tape measure
    For the jewelry boxes a table saw and router were used
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  12. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

If its rollable, how ya gonna do the drains?:confused:
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

out the bottom into the grass. Only gonna have 1 sink. ill just have the drain piped off out the back to run away from our feet.
  14. terminator

terminator Member

Nice and quick!
  15. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Animal guts on the lawn?:eek:
  16. geds

geds New Member

Remember, this is Georgia and it is in the backyard. If it were here in Alabama, we'd have it on the front porch next to the washer! :D
  17. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

i mean hand-held power tools, as in not made in a factory
  18. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

yup.. Here in TX the fireants will have it cleaned up faster than we can clean the deer
  19. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

:D

You guys crack me up.:p:lmao:
  20. doubleclutch

doubleclutch Member

N.E. Georgia,U.S., Third rock from the sun
    that jewelry box is kick butt!