Cleaning the .22 bore

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by G-Mann, Nov 17, 2009.

1. G-Mann

G-Mann Member

Cleaned my rifle the other day after the range. It did not look all that dirty, but the barrel had flakes of burned powder in it. It still functioned good. Well yesterday I went out again, and seemed like accuracy fell a bit. Asked a senior member there about my problem and told me that cleaning a .22 should only be cleaned when performance falls and will no longer function to feed or eject ammo. More to do so on a semi auto rather than a bolt action like mine. He then told me that depending on the gun, that it may take 50-250 rounds or more to get it back! He then said to just run a loose dry patch through it every 1000 rounds or so. What do you guy's think?
  2. focusmaniaczx3

focusmaniaczx3 Member

ive shot well over 5000 rounds through my little savage 62 .22 and made a point of not cleaning it. i obviously keep the surface clean to avoid any rust from touch but as of now the rifle is still a nail driver. i also have an old browning .22 that my dad gave me that i clean every time i shoot it even if i only fire it once. the browning has proven deadly accurate from an easy 200 yards if you take into consideration how much the bullet drops. i pop crows out of trees with it from that distance sitting on the back deck sipping beer every saturday. its a toss up i think
  3. Claude Clay

Claude Clay New Member

like what was said--
    i sray the end of the bore snake with rem oil and pull 3 times. clean the feed ramp, spray the action and wipe it down.
    i'll add: clean it when it fails or to clean it when it gets too bloody dirty to handle also:eek: but that can take upwards of 4000 rounds.
  4. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

I personally clean all of my firearms (rim fire and center fire included) after each shooting session.

However, I have a family member who has a Marlin 60 that had constant reliability issues until he stopped cleaning it. Never had a single issue after that.
  5. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

There is 'cleaning' and then there is 'cleaning'. My smith pointed out that he's seen far more .22's ruined by over-cleaning than from shooting. He suggests the normal 'cleaning' be a patch of Break-Free (or whatever flavor you desire) through the barrel a few times. Then clean the action and wipe down everything. He advised NEVER use a wire brush in the bore, as the metal on most .22 barrels isn't the extra-hard item found on center-fire weapons, and leading isn't a problem with these rim-fires. I follow his advice, and have had no problems.
    My 2ยข
  6. moosebox76

moosebox76 New Member

i clean mine every 15 rounds. at are mach we shoot ten round groups i put 2 in the dirt and 2 or 3 sighters 10 on target then clean. i always use a bore guide run a brush down one time for every round fired then a wet patch let it sit for a few then a few dry patches. if i dont clean it and shoot another target i go from 1/2 moa to over 1moa. take a gun to the range clean bring it home clean
  7. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

I clean everything but the bore after every outing. Even changing types or brands of ammo can cause a change in accuracy or point of impact for a few rounds.
    I only do a good bore cleaning when accuracy drops off.
  8. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I use a product called R-F Glaze in my 22's. Made by Titan Arms up near Dallas. It's worked well for me in the 10-22 and 22/45. No brushing, just cotton patches and a few pulls.