Cleaning ur pistol??

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by upssmann, Mar 14, 2012.

1. upssmann

upssmann New Member

What type of oil or lube would u recomend for the slide on ur pistol ???
  2. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

From what I hear Silver Bullet Gun Oil is a real good product. Probaly the best.
  3. Frogtop

Frogtop New Member

I use a grease on the slide rails, RemOil lightly on other moving parts, Eezox in bore and exterior.
  4. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

I use white lithium grease and Remoil.
  5. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Nothing but SBGO. Visit cwgrips in our store front here at TFF and pick some up. You wont be sorry.
  6. Country101

Country101 Active Member

7. techiej

techiej New Member

Any good gun oil. I use Miltec-1.
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
  9. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

I use hops on non poly frames and a special silicon cleaning cloth for the poly frames. I used a break-free lube on all of my pistols.
  10. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

11. Bud0505

Bud0505 Member

Breakfree CLP.
  12. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

On the inside "parts" I'll put some CLP on and the rest is SBGO.
  13. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Moly grease.
  14. Virginia58

Virginia58 New Member

Tech grease on the rails, FP10 everywhere else.
  15. cutter

cutter New Member

SBGO on rails and hard used parts, synthetic oil on inside parts. Really like SBGO it doesn't gum up!
  16. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    For an UR pistol you should use oil made from a Unicorn.
  17. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

rem oil on the parts that need it, and gun grease ( milsurp syn-moly i think ) on parts like slides..

soundguy
  18. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

There are literally thousands of different packagings of oils and likely a few hundred really different types of oils.

The lubricant that is best suited for a particular application depends on many different things. It is very unlikely that any one lubricant (or, specifically, oil) is going to be "best" for all applications. Some oils do do a decent job over a wide spectrum of uses or applications.

Products that advertise that they are "the best for everything" are often "the best for nothing", and are sometimes inferior for all conceivable uses as compared to other products. {Such was once the case with a very well known premium brand of automotive engine oil.} Just because the people advertising and marketing it say it is "the best for everything" does not make it so.

As to firearms; Stainless steel firearms typically contain about 16% Chromium (Cr) and often need specialized lubricants like Rig Extreme Pressure grease or others. {Pure Cr bearing on pure Cr has a lower coefficient of friction than Cr bearing on Cr with an oil film in between. Thus, Winchester used to warn not to oil the hard chrome plated trigger parts of the Model 52C rifle.}

If you change your own automotive motor oil, and use a fully synthetic oil (like "Mobil 1", Valvoline, Amsoil, and many others) you likely never need to by "gun oil". In a 4 quart change, you can likely recover 2 to 6 oz. of new oil from the empty bottles if you set them to fully drain over several hours.
    The oil that you recover will likely be as good an action (moving parts) lube as the "gun oil" that you buy at the sporting goods store for $7.00 for 4 oz.

Hope this is useful.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  19. jeffadaklin

jeffadaklin New Member

I used to think the cleaner-lubricant-preservative stuff was the easiest- I was probably right. But I knew it couldn't be as effective as single-purpose stuff. I clean with CLP, Powder Blast,BreakFree, Hoppes, normal stuff, and use M-Pro7 for oiling. I wipe down the outsides with a slicone cloth, let it sit a few minutes, then wipe with a dry cloth. That silicone makes it feel almost slimy.
    But a question- is it better to use slide grease on the steel slide parts? Have wondered about that for a while. Seems grease would be best to my lil pea-brain.
    Another question- for oiling the trigger mech- I know I need to be VERY light with that area, but if I understand right, there's dry synthetic 'oil' that you can use in there.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  20. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

interesting you mention that...last time i changed oil inthe wifes truck I drained one of the synthetic quart bottles into a 35mm film case tube, and that is what I use to lube my rcbs case trimmer.. works good too!