Cleaning?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by BountyHunter, Dec 19, 2008.

1. BountyHunter

BountyHunter New Member

I have a friend who is considering using an ultrasonic cleaning bath for some antiques...to try and clear up a little surface rust and clean the bores without hurting the finish.

Would that type of cleaning harm the guns?
  2. eka

eka New Member

I have used the electrolysis process if that is what you are talking about. It works great, but it will not remove any pitting that is under the rust. It has to be pretty rusty before I put it in the bath, firearm wise. After coming out it has to be brushed with a brass brush etc. I might try a less intrusive method if the rust is not real bad. I have not noticed the process itself destroying the finish. Usually the rust and neglect has taken care of that. Got an 1891 Argentine working in there right now. Now this baby was a real mess.

Keith
  3. paradox998

paradox998 New Member

I have used an ultrasonic cleaner on antique Lugers. As long as the parts are steel, no problem, but no aluminum. Old crud comes off like magic. A second dunk in an oil like Slip 2000 will ensure all surfaces are coated. The ultrasonic will take off all the oil, so be sure to recoat to avoid rust.
  4. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

There are chemical derusting agents available that do a pretty fair job of removing rust but they are acids and you might get a mild etch. X-Rust-O is the name of one I believe. Actually though I'd try soaking them in white vinegar. It wont really cause any more damage than has already been done by the rust. Just make sure to thoroughly wash them in hot soapy water to remove any residue when done, dry, then use a light coat of oil to prevent further rust. Clean the oil out of the bore before shooting them of course.