Cleaning

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

weerwolf
    (3/4/03 7:46:17 am)
    Reply Cleaning
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How often do you clean your (.22) gun(s) ?
    once a year
    once a month
    once a week
    every time I shoot
    none of the above

Show results

gram22
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/4/03 9:32:05 am)
    Reply Cleaning.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I only have one rifle currently, a Ruger 10/22. Right now it is my most prized posession of all, so I clean it up nicely each time I use it. A gun likes to be nice and clean with the action smooth, and will repay you for your dirty work when your trying to hit those targets out at the range. So, take those extra few minutes of your time when you get home to clean out the barrel, oil the action, and wipe away fingerprints left on the outside.

inplanotx
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/4/03 10:50:03 am)
    Reply Re: Cleaning.
    The Marine Corps left an indelible mark on my small brain......If you use it, it had better be clean after!

weerwolf
    (3/4/03 1:48:40 pm)
    Reply Re: Cleaning.
    Can the guy who voted 'none of the above' please explain.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/4/03 2:02:01 pm)
    Reply Re: Cleaning
    My .22's get cleaned when the crud becomes obvious or the action gets gummy. The pro's will tell you more harm has been done to .22 barrels by improper cleaning than anything that has been fired down the bore. These bullets have outside lube on them, shoot non-corrosive powder/primers and are at such moderate velocity they don't "lead" up a barrel. The fouling is soft enough not to interfere with accuracy. You'll find a lot of big name shooters that won't clean a .22 until action function requires it.

That being said, sometimes I get on a cleaning jag and tend to go thru all firearms in the vault and give them a cleaning in minute detail, whether they need it or not! The .22's don't get a metal brush down the bores, though - just nylon brushes.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/4/03 4:30:43 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Re: Cleaning
    I am the other none of the above.

Same reasons as Kdub.
    The 22's only when they get real cruddy or used in mud, snow, water.

All the guns get it thoughoughly once a year whether they have been shot or not.

weerwolf
    (3/4/03 5:32:45 pm)
    Why didn't you choose 'once a year' then , pig ?

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/4/03 5:57:52 pm)
    Heck...yer supposed to clean a .22

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/4/03 6:39:12 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Re: Cleaning
    cause I ain't very smart

stuporman
    (3/4/03 8:00:18 pm)
    Reply Boresnake everytime shot, thorough about every 100 rds...
    I put a drop or three of BoreShine on the lead edge of the snake to lift the crud out of the rifling.

Then, spray down the barrel and action with silicone dry lube and run the snake, wipe off all excess.

About every 100 rounds or so I take the action down and WD 40 out the crap, wipe dry...then put some drylube on and wipe off excess.

I dont shoot dirty ammo, so thats about all I need.

My 2 Bits

scarface
    (3/6/03 9:00:04 pm)
    Reply Re: Boresnake everytime shot, thorough about every 100 rds..
    My 22.s see a cleaning rod once in there life,when there new to get any grease out,my actions get cleaned often. I took care of a large range while in college and have built a couple hundred bench and varmint guns. None of the smallbore shooters ran a rod down the barrel. The only reason I clean centerfires is because you have to [velocity]. I had a 22. Cheetah that was a 1/4" gun and went sour, it took a 10x loupe to see the damage I'd done with the rod, 1,st class rod,bore guide,etc. Like the man said before "more damage is done cleaning".
    Scarface

weerwolf
    (3/8/03 9:30:00 am)
    Reply Re: cleaning
    I always clean my baby every time I shoot her.
    I have 3 brushes in my cleaning kit, one hard metal brush , one softer brush and one fabric. I always use the soft brush and the fabric brush. Once a year I take the gun appart and clean it thoroughly and use the harder brush.

z537z
    (3/11/03 6:23:21 pm)
    Reply cleaning didn't do it...
    I took down my Rem 597 and cleaned that bastard all the way out. Man did it feel good.

However, even after lubing the crap out of it, the slide is sticky. I can still bring it back and it will stick there.

Arguably the most annoying thing in the world is that it will slide back enough to load in the next round, but not cock the hammer. Helloooo waste of ammo.

I'm thinking graphite dust or just some really nice grease. Suggestions?

And yeah, I clean my gun like every 5 times I take it out (plinking).

Thanks

_z

cointoss 2
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/16/03 1:43:24 pm)
    Reply Re: cleaning didn't do it...
    If you use grease or oil it will just attract more unburned powder and crud to the bolt and in the nooks and crannys has been the case for me.
    cointoss2

bigboom338
    (3/17/03 11:27:09 pm)
    Reply Re: cleaning didn't do it...
    My 10/22 lives in the deep dark cave behind the seat in my pickup year around, it has never had a rod down the barrel however,when she wont cycle any more i will take the action apart and clean that.I am ashamed to say that is the only gun that I have that gets abused (none of them should) but in 14 years it has never let me down.As for a lube I use dry graphite.Bad medicine me and WD40 in the winter time.
    "Aim small miss small"

z537z
    (3/18/03 12:42:36 am)
    Reply thanks
    Yeah, graphite powder sounds the best right about now. The liquid's just not sticking in the bolt recesses where it slides over the rails. Even WD40, the most useful thing in the world less duct tape, can't cut it. Wow.

Hey guys: Should my next gun be a better .22 rifle, or a .22 pistol? Arg. I vote both.

Also, dad's got an old Rem. model 11 semi auto shotty: I might be able to take it out. Good times ahead.

Still, any other suggestions for lubrication? Thanks again,

_z

NEtracker
    (3/20/03 2:30:13 pm)
    Reply Cleaning .22
    Rifles, as needed.

Pistols, after every range visit.

bigboom338
    (3/21/03 12:16:07 am)
    Reply Re: Cleaning .22
    weer ,you got me thinkin and i broke down and cleaned my old 10/22

"Aim small miss small"
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2003
  2. las1964

las1964 New Member

I clean my .22 after every shooting session wihch typically invlolves around 300 rounds. I just found out about a cool cleaning kit from Champions Choice called the patch worm kit. Your not supposed to use brushes or metal rods to clean .22 bores. I ordered 3 kits so I wont have to worry about not getting any more in the future. The kits are only $4.50 and allow you to clean from breach to muzzle the way you should even with the bolt still in. I have a Ruger Mark III hunter with a 2x6 scope. This thing shoots like a rifle and I don't want to screw it up by not cleaning it right which I, unknowingly, did for years with other guns.
  3. kau

kau New Member

Certain kind of brushes or all brushes?
  4. clmanges

clmanges New Member

I treated my guns with Microlon Gun Juice, and noticed a big difference in the dirt buildup in my Ruger 22/45 Mk III. Previously, after a typical shooting session of 200 rds, there was a lot of greasy powder residue gunk throughout the gun, and it was very tough to get out, and I was completely stripping the pistol each time. Now, the residue is a dry powder, very thin layer, and wipes right off with a nylon brush and cloth. I will no longer be stripping the gun each session, only if or when the black film starts looking too obvious.
    Also, fingerprint smudges simply fail to appear on the blued steel anymore.
    Great stuff!
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  5. las1964

las1964 New Member

I guess it depends on who you talk to. I however will not use any brushes in my .22 even nylon because you have to attach them to a rod. If I absolutely have to I'll get a stainless steel loop brush and attach it to a nylon coated rod but don't think ths will be necessary.
  6. las1964

las1964 New Member

Have you ever used bore tech rimfire blend? The guy I met at the shooting range swore by it. I am currently using Pro Shots 1 step cleaner & lubricant. I do need something more effective to clean the receiver/ feed ramp area. I am using old tooth brushes but they can't get into the feed ramp area very well. Anyone make a brush with bristles on the end or something that can get into the nooks and crannies?
  7. Mike_MTM_Rolla

Mike_MTM_Rolla New Member

Please see my thread on the 10/22 Hobby. I have an unusual technique on my 10/22s. First...I always clean from the breach to the muzzle. Since I have learned how to make the 10//22 a precision weapon, I shoot a lot. Accurate rifles are fun....this leaves a lot of crud inside.....so....

I remove the stock and field strip the barrelled action. I leave the barrel on. I then point the muzzle into a trash can and spray the inside of the receiver with aerosol brake cleaner from the local auto store. 1.99 on sale. This works the crud loose. I then use a tooth brush, pipecleaners, and a shaving brush to remove the junk that the brake cleaner didn't get.

I have modified my 10/22s so that they can be cleaned with a cleaning rod from the breach end (please see my 10/22 thread for this). I like stainless steel rods or bore snakes. Both work well....sometimes a brush is needed so I use the bore snake for quick jobs and the cleaning rod for deliberate work.

I use whatever bore cleaner I got on sale and follow it with a light coat of oil. My 10/22s all have lapped barrels, again the thread, and are pretty easy to clean.

I use DuPont Teflon lube for the bolt and trigger assembly, a small dab of Riggs on the receiver rail and put the whole thing back together...It takes longer to talk about it than it does to do it.