Clearing live round from Iver Special trap

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Bushmaster1313, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Member

With a live round in the chamber and the hammer cocked in an Iver Johnson Special Trap, can the live round be safely cleared by operating the lever and opening the action?

Safety first!
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I can't find reference to a "Special Trap".

I find a "Super Trap". Double barrel hammerless.
    [​IMG]
    As soon as the action is opened, it cocks, so obviously it can be unloaded while cocked.

The single-barrel hammer gun, the Champion, appears to have been made in "Trap" grade. If that's the one you mean, I don't know, but I suspect not.

I just checked with an H&R Topper. When the hammer is cocked, the unlocking lever will not move. I suspect the Iver works the same way.

Safety first? Absolutely. Lower the hammer.
  3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

to unload any iver johnson single barrel hammer gun the hammer must be lowered very carefully. you must lower the hammer manually but remember to keep conrtol of the hammer all the way down. the barrel latch is constructed to keep the barrel locked to the frame when the hammer is cocked.
    bill
  4. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Member

This is reprinted at p. 148 in the Conley book from the 1931 Iver Johnson catalog:

[​IMG]

Here is my Iver:

[​IMG]
  5. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Member

Here is the open action.

Action will not open with hammer cocked.

[​IMG]