1. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    at times i have very slight hangfire on a cva cap lock,anybody have any preferences as to best brand-type nipples or suggestions.i throughly clean and lube (non petroleum)all my guns and run clean patch b-4 shooting
  2. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 New Member

On my caplocks I use a pipe cleaner with alcohol to clean the nipple and drum and a alcohol patch in the bore before loading...don't recall any hangfires.
  3. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Buy a Hot shot nipple and try it. It does help to put a hotter flame to the powder. Also mase sure the drum is good and clean as is the hole going into tyhe barrel. You can take the drum off and clean them.
  4. Oldbull

Oldbull New Member

after you clean the barrel with a clean patch but before you add any powder try firing off a couple of caps to clean the vent hole. Point the firearm at a cluster of grass and then pop the cap. if the grass moves then you have a clear vent.
  5. Artemus

Artemus New Member

I have a CVA that gave me some hangfires with Pyrodex.I went back to black powder and no more problems.
  6. Win73

Win73 New Member

I missed a nice buck opening morning of muzzleloader season last year because of a hang fire with my NEF Huntsman .50 caliber. I didn't pop a cap on it before loading it. You can bet that I will this year.
  7. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

ALWAYS pop a cap before loading a ML to clean any oil or dirt from the drum. :)
  8. Joe M

Joe M New Member

I would venture to say your hang fires are do to the channel from the drum to the breech getting solvent or oil setting in it after cleaning.

A couple things you can do is flush that area with a bit of alcohol after cleaning (make sure it comes out the nipple with a plastic tube over the nipple to direct the alcohol away from the stock, then swab the bore completely dry (the alcohol will evaporate) - then remove the nipple and use a pipe cleaner and work it in towards the breech as best you can,,, lube your bore and store the rifle - muzzle down. The next day run a clean dry patch in and out of the bore. You'd be surprised what collects in the breech of a muzzle loader when they are stored with the muzzle up after a cleaning and lube job.

Firing off a few caps before loading is never a bad idea. As a matter of fact it's a good idea!

Don't try to remove a CVA Drum as you will never get it back in - and get it aligned properly. Those are chucked in by machine as I understand it and I've heard and seen the horror stories of folks who finally broke the drum free - got it out, but never got it back in.

Using real black powder is by far the best powder to use in any muzzle loader as the fake powders create a oily type residue in the bore and this can and will eventually run down into the breech causing a hang fire and/or failure to fire.