Clip spring replacement -- Hi-Standard Sport King

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by butchc, Jan 30, 2011.

1. butchc

butchc New Member

I inherited my dad's old 1951 Hi-Standard .22 Sport King. I carried the gun for several summers during the early sixties while I was in college in my summer jobs with the US Forest Service, and have fired several thousand rounds with it with never a jam. However, it has started jamming with the shell about half-way in to the chamber after firing a few rounds. I figured it was probably the spring in the clip seeing as how it is sixty years old, and has been left full many, many times over the years. Wolff sent me a new spring for the clip, but I cannot see any way to break in to the clip to replace it.

If there is someone out there in e-land who knows the secret of the spring, I would sure appreciate you sharing your knowlege. I am teaching one of my grandsons to shoot and this is his favorite pistol to shoot.
  2. BillM

BillM Active Member

New springs are available from Brownells, or try just stretching the stock
    one a bit. That said, it might not be the spring. High Standards are
    REALLY picky about magazine lip spread. You might just need to adjust
    the lips a bit. Lots of info on the 'net about tweaking HS mag lips.
    I'm dealing with this on a HD Military right now. Have 6 mags for it.
    2 of them work 100%. 2 more I've got at about 90%, the last 2
    are still jam-o-matics. Lots of patience and mild cursing seem to
    be the key.

I also have a 1951 era (toggle barrel lock) Sport King. Fun little gun,
    but it throws a fit if I try ammo with soft lead bullets. Anything with
    a plating on it works fine, plain lead will choke. Could probably get it
    tuned to shoot other ammo, but I just feed it plated bullets and we
    are both happy. :)
  3. butchc

butchc New Member

I got a new spring from Wolff Gunsprings, and it looks to be the same, but they indicated the new one is 5% stronger than the stock one.

Hard to believe this weapon was the one the OSS issued to it's agents during the big one. Good ammo was probably hard to come by in the field, especially if the gun was persnickety about it's loads. Thanks, Bill. Will see what I can find about the lip spread.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  4. wkd

wkd New Member

5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

To adjust the lips of a High Standard magazine you need to visit the web site below:

http://home.roadrunner.com/~jbarta/otherstuff.html

There is a drawing there for the tool you can make to do the adjustment and directions on how to adjust the lips.

In order to preserve your Hi Std Pistol you need to regularly do a few things. First, only shoot Standard Velocity ammo though the gun. CCI STD VEL ammo is a relatively inexpensive ammo that works fine in most all Hi Std pistols. NEVER shoot High or Hyper Velocity ammo in a Hi Std pistol. The frames can crack if the gun is abused.

The other most important thing is to keep a standard recoil spring in it. The spring leads a hard life and should be replaced regularly with the correct spring. Do not use a Heavy Duty variety as that seriously beats up the gun. A weak spring can make the gun's frame have to absorb some energy of recoil that the spring would normally absorb and that eventually may crack the frame.

These are great guns and it is not cool to loose one to a cracked frame from neglect.

LDBennett
  6. RobertLee

RobertLee New Member

The bottom of the magazine to my high standard king sport fell off and I was wondering if this can be repaired. It appears that it was spot welded or punched but there are no groves. If the spring can be replaced, then this is the piece you would remove but since I have never done it, it is not obvious how. Is there a procedure on how to do this? Thanks!
  7. LDBennett

RobertLee:

I'll start by saying you probably should replace the magazine. A good source is High Standard in Houston Texas. A bad source is Triple K as sold as new at most gun shows. An original magazine is also a good choice but telling any of them from each other is for the trained eye.

If you are able to reattach the base plate the process to remove and replace a spring is actually pretty easy and it does not involve the bottom plate at all. Use a wood dowel or pencil to push the follower from the top all the way to the bottom. In the slot, where the side button rides, at the bottom is a larger round hole. It is sized so that the button can be removed by pulling it out of the follower and out the side of the magazine. While still controlling the follower and spring slowly allow the follower to rise to the top. It is sized so that it comes out between the lips of the mag. Next grab the spring and in a rocking action (forward to rear) and remove it from the magazine one coil at a time. To put it back together it is just the reverse of the above.

I would add that there are several different style magazine that fit Hi Std guns. It sound like yours is the slant grip model with the steel bottom plate. The military grip models uses a different magazine with a plastic bottom plate. They are not interchangeable.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  8. RobertLee

RobertLee New Member

Thank you for your assistance and I will plan to order a new magazine just to be sure I have a good one. How is the bottom plate attached if I wanted to try a repair? Regards.
  9. LDBennett

Probably silver solder.

The base plate has to be positioned correctly because it controls how far up into the magazine well the magazine fits. These Hi Std guns feed ammo directly from the magazine lips to the chamber of the barrel without the aid of a frame feeding ramp. Where that magazine fits in relation to the chamber (depth of insertion into mag well) controls ammo feeding. Get it wrong and you will get consistent failure to feed with the bullet jammed against the edge of the chamber. This and the shape of the lips is critical for reliable ammo feeding.

LDBennett
  10. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

I feel that pre-1990 ammo was probably way more reliable than the crap Remington dishes out now.

Most companies made sure that their stuff went BANG every time...as hunters would QUICKLY drop lousy ammo...

But these days folks are more tolerant of the BS that Remmy's been feeding the public for the last 25 years...
  11. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw Member

While the OP originally asked about a clip spring issue. the replies all politely addressed a magazine spring issue.

Well done fellow shooters, well done.

:)
  12. LDBennett

So what's the difference between a clip and a magazine?

A magazine is where the ammunition is stored before firing. In the case of a semi-auto rifle or pistol it can be a removable container (box) with a follower that pushes the ammo up to the magazine's lips where the gun takes the next cartridge on top. The follower is powered by a spring under it. It can also be non-removable and be part of the receiver. In the Navy, I believe, it is an area in the ship where ammo is stored for the big guns.

A clip is a piece of metal that holds multiple cartridges for loading. It has no follower or spring or box. It simply holds the cartridges in a bunch for loading. The gun's magazine, in a gun that uses a clip, is an area in the receiver with a follower and spring that pushes the loaded cartridges up ready for the gun to move into the chamber. The magazine can be a long tube or a boxed in area in the gun.

Pistols use removable magazines. The M1 Garand uses a clip that is expelled on the firing of the last round. Some guns use stripper clips that are removed after the cartridges are stripped from it during the loading of the cartridges into the gun.

Using clip and magazine interchangeably is wrong but some people do it. For others to fully understand comments made here it is best to use the correct nomenclature but not mandatory. The rest of us can usually figure it out when the terms are interchanged because we usually know the gun in question.

Hope this helps.

LDBennett
  13. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Clip vs Mag
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  14. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw Member

15. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

There is no difference. They both mean the same thing. Some people just want to get anal over it.