COAL in a 127 year old .38-40

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dexterblack, Jan 29, 2012.

1. dexterblack

dexterblack New Member

Near the People's Republic of Boulder, CO
    The Whitney Kennedy is about 1885. The cases are Starline. The lead is cast from Lyman 041-043 mold (175gr flat point round nose). seating & roll crimping is RCBS dies.

Two promblems: If I seat the bullet so the OAL is the recommended 2.575", the case mouth is at, or below the crimping shoulder. If I seat the OAL to 2.570", the mouth extends enough above the crimping shoulder the it crimps nicely. Do I need to worry about 5/1000s short OAL? (it's rimmed -- .38-40)

Problem two: The bullets actually weigh out to 168.1 grains. (Lyman #2 alloy). My brother cast the bullets. Is #2 a bit lighter than straigh lead?

'Hope to shoot the old gun soon-- first time fired since early 60's.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Neither issue will cause you any problems. Just proceed with caution at first until youve learned the firearms and how it likes the ammo.

.005 one way or the other isnt a problem and it is normal for projectiles to weigh a little above or a little below their intended weight. especially cast bullets cast of lead alloys. they almost always come in a bit lighter than the mold says.