1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

COAL of 200g HP on .45ACP, please

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 1911Man, Mar 26, 2010.

1. 1911Man

1911Man New Member

My manual states a COAL of 1.20, per what they tested with. Though, I hear 1.245 - 1.25 on this forum. Is that just for LSWC, or would it apply to HP as well. I understand that every gun is different and I need to adjust according to what mine likes to eat, but what is baseline to start testing from in your opinion. First time I've loaded HPs so I want to go into the range in the middle and adjust from there. What's the "middle" I should start from?

Thanks guys..................and any gals on here.

P.S. GO BIG BLUE!!! BEAT THOSE MOUNTAINEERS SATURDAY!!!!
    Alex
  2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Another factor in your question is which 200gr JHP you're referring to. Different brands usually have a slightly different nose profile that can also affect the COAL for that particular bullet.

A couple examples:
    Hornady's 200gr XTP/HP shows 1.23" for the COAL, but the Speer #4477 200gr JHP (non-Gold Dot version) lists 1.155".

That particular Speer bullet has a much wider hollow point than the XTP does so to get the nose profile into the proper position for feeding (for most pistols) they had to seat the bullet a bit deeper, resulting in the shorter COAL.
    That wide, flat nose on most all HP bullets is a reason that generally HPs will have a slightly shorter COAL than the same weight round-nose FMJ bullet.

If you're using a Winchester or Remington "bulk" bullet...or something that you can't get specific data for...try to find a bullet with a similar profile as what you're loading and start with that COAL. Make up a dummy round or two and cycle them through your pistol to see how it functions.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  3. 1911Man

1911Man New Member

Ok, thanks. I'm loading Rainiers.
  4. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I don't have any 200gr Rainiers, but their 230gr HPs are very similar in profile to the 230gr Hornady XTP or HAP bullets, so in that case I would try Hornady's suggested COAL of 1.23".

The 200gr Rainier looks very similar to your average truncated cone (TC) style bullet so that would be a good style to get a starting COAL figure from. I would guess something in the 1.200-1.230" range would be a good starting point...but tweak for functioning in your pistol.

Unless someone here is using the 200gr Rainier and could post up their COAL that is known as working for that bullet...
  5. WildcatFan

WildcatFan New Member

Thank you!
  6. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

What fits and cycles for you? That is how I determine where I set the seating die. I will load one and if it goes into battery and extracts manually then I use that setting until I can range test.