coated blade ( camo ) any good ?

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by jack404, Oct 16, 2011.

1. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i'm about to get one of these

i got a mate to grab me a package deal from a store near him thats not online the knifes part of the deal

i've never been a fan of the painted blades but technology changes ..

any thoughts on em ? or do i just toss it in to the trade bag and trade it before it all scuffs or peels ?

and for the Aussies... Savage have real decent packages in Victoria for the month , 10 years of the new management ..

grabbed a 10 xp predator with 4 x12 x 50 scope , bag , back pack and cleaning kit for $799 AUD

and a Axis XP camo with same scope bag Cleaning kit and the shiv for $429

Attached Files:

2. H-D

H-D Active Member

where's it made?
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

If it holds and edge Jack a little paint shouldnt matter, i know you know how to hone an edge. put one on it and cut some stuff up. If it holds up, keep it.

I have a cheap Legacy sports Bowie that is cheap chinese stainless. but that thing holds one heck of an edge. Only reason i keep it. Dont care where its made or whats stamped on the blade, if it holds a fine edge and cuts to my liking, i keep it. One of my favorite bowie knives is made from an antique ferriers file, tool steel is a pain in the ass to sharpen but holds an edge forever.
  4. H-D

H-D Active Member

I had some like that when I was a teenager made in Pakistan is why I ask they would not hold an edge at all
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

forged in the USA parts ( like the compass and matches ) from various sources
  6. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I am not a fan at all of coated blades. When you use it it just scratches off and looks like crap.
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i had a fair dollar china made one before ( maybe 8 years ago ) and i found the paint or what ever it is on a hunk of roo i'd carved for myself , went back to the Kershaw. but things get better .. so checking if the new ones are better
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Jack, I agree with Josh on this one, but my biggest concern is the fact that the knife has a hollow handle. No tang, no strength!
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

You got a point Myles, I do prefer a full tang, but it just restricts the uses of the blade. No tang means no strength so no hacking on wood like its a hatchet or throwing it at stuff. But it would do great for carving meat and skinning kills. as well as most other tasks youd need a knife for.
  10. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Jack, give it a fair chance. Some of these are ok, like JLA & Carver says, if it holds an edge the handle may surprise you. Good luck Aussie Boy, have yourself a great adventure with it and tell us your tale!
  11. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

yes very true eh , had a couple tube handled knives , ok into the trade bag

what i carry now suits me well , i've a Kbar a kershaw system and a 3" buck

been looking for a saw back to replace the K bar , but with a goodly hilt like this , still lookin ..
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I have a hard time finding knives I absolutely love Jack. Im seriously contemplating learning to blacksmith. Would be fun to Make knives I think.
  13. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

AL if i scratch bit selling it or trading it is off , i'll trade it straight bup new in box .. i'm hard on knives and picky , just had the same for a while and they'll be hard to better

my query was for the paint, but got reminded of the tang

if i stick it in a crevice like i do the k bar will it be a foothold with me and my pack and maybe a roo?

i'll stick with the Kbar for now

and looking for a better skinning / work knife too , i know what i want , hard part is getting the idea across to makers ..

JLA i'm thinking similar

i've 4 wonderful knives i've had made all in the draw because it aint what i was askin for , each one did it "better" ..

that one i got from here though , the Remington 1 of 1000.. thats a grand blade.. i've taken that out a few times now
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  14. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Jack, here's a pic of one of mine. It is 15" overall, 440 stainless w/tang. I like it alot but not sure of the brand or where I picked it up at. It's been awhile, would have to research it. I have others, including the second pic of the tanto 8" blade. Many of my straight knives are more for hunting rather than survival or self defense like pic 3 which comes with a shoulder harness for concealment under the arm.:eek::D Looks like my second 2 pics are reversed and I can't seem to change them, but you know whats what!
    http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=52936&stc=1&d=1319132425
    http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=52938&stc=1&d=1319132692
    http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=52937&stc=1&d=1319132692

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  15. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I looked around some, and there are some really sweet knives out there for everyday/survival use. Some of them come with a hefty price tag too. I settled on the Gerber Big Rock, it's a real work horse, will take a lot of abuse, not to big for those skinning jobs, and the cost is low, around $25 - $35. That makes it easy to replace, and you don't feel too bad about roughing it up batoning with it.

Attached Files: