1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Coin collectors help needed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 358 winchester, Nov 1, 2006.

1. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

I have an old coin Dated 1780 marked P(or R)ISPAN (dot) ET IND (dot) REX (dot) (maybe a 2)R (dot)F (dot)F and would like to know if it is worth any thing, so if you are a serious coin collector and think you can help me contact me by Email or Pm I will try to get pictures taken by a good camera over the weekend.
    Then it may be junk but I kind of doubt it most junk isn't solid silver
    Ron
  2. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Pictures please.... :D

mike
    gn
  3. 358 winchester

I am working on that my camers isn't good enough
  4. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Scan it
  5. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

Book's in the book-case. Just need to see it and I can get you in range. When you get the scans done; go ahead and take out the calipers and give me the dimensions of the coin too. This will save some small problems.
  6. 358 winchester

I don't know how to use that thing either, heck I am lucky to hit the right key when typing:eek:
  7. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

I'll see about getting a "Computer Handicapped" tag for your truck then you can park up front at Wally World :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
  8. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

:D I wonder if you can get free huntin licenses if you are computer handicapped
  9. tccox

tccox New Member

358, if it is worn so much that some of the letters are not readable, it ain't gonna be worth much unless it is one of a kind and the only one known to exist! I do love to collect coins and most of mine are unreadable too. Tom
  10. Llan_boy

Llan_boy New Member

Probably Charles III Spanish Real minted perhaps for circulation in Mexico.
    Inscription would be 'Hispan et Ind Rex'.

From your description it sounds very worn condition and unfortunately won't be worth that much, (I'm guessing around the $5 mark!).

Paste the link below into your browser to see if the coin shown is similar.

Best regards,

Chris
    http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=3402&sort=2&cat=17&page=1
  11. tccox

tccox New Member

Chris, one thing about your great country, among other things, is its age. I read about the occasional find of a hord of old coins from centuries past. Don't know the restrictions but I would love to get a metal detector around some of the old ruins and battlefields. Just no telling what there is to find out there. Tom
  12. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

The link does not work for me, Chris. :(

Perhaps there is an error in it ????
  13. Llan_boy

Llan_boy New Member

Hi Marlin,

Just tried the link from this page and it goes straight to the designated page on my laptop, perhaps difficulty with the address if you're outside UK?

Regards,

Chris
  14. Llan_boy

Llan_boy New Member

Indeed, there are still very valuable finds being made on a regular basis. There are restrictions, you have to have the landowners permission to use a metal detector, I believe that they are entitled to an equal share of any proceeds, then there is the state-sanctioned theft known as 'treasure trove' whereby I believe it's an expert from the British Museum gets to decide whether your find are lost coins or whether they have been intentionally hidden in the distant past, (which would make them treasure trove). If they're treasure trove coins, perhaps a horde of Roman gold coins and jewellery which has been buried during a turbulent period for safety, then the Government can buy them compulsorily at a fraction of the market value - although they will go to a museum.

The holy grail in treasure hunter terms is the lost Crown Jewels of 'bad' King John, (Richard Lionhearts brother also seen in the Robin Hood films). He fled from London and got bogged down in a tidal estuary known as the wash where some of his retinue were lost, along with the Crown Jewels which are reputed to have been sucked down into the mud of the wash. Now that would make for a good days metal detecting if you turned up that particular pile of treasure!
  15. Indeed it would, Chris! Of course, the British replaced many of the crown treasures thereafter, including within them Welsh prince Llywelyn's coronet in 1284. But if I recall correctly, Oliver Cromwell melted down much of the crown treasure when he established the Commonwealth in the 17th century, though those too were eventually replaced with the ones we see today after the Restoration. When we visited the Tower of London some years ago, we had the opportunity to view the British Crown jewels, or at least some of them. The security was super tight! No cameras were allowed, and those Beefeaters did not seem like people to mess with terribly much. I understand those guards are drawn from retired SAS troops and other such special ops military personel.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2006