Cold and windy fun in North Alabama

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Danny Creasy, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy Active Member

Weatherman missed this call. Low 30s, spittin snow, and 15 to 20 mph gusts. I know the yankees will laugh at these conditions. But, we shot a match in em and that should count for somethin.

Sugar coated railroad ties:
    [​IMG]

Last time I ask Willie to smile for the camera:
    [​IMG]

Willie and Lana engage the rams:
    [​IMG]

Lana and Susan, "we're gonna take these guys in March":
    [​IMG]

Reset:
    [​IMG]

I shot my CZ 452 American in the scoped class and my CZ 452 Special in the open sight class. I have been laid up for a couple of months with my second total knee replacement. So, it felt great to be back out at the range shooting again.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  2. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

If you don't mind me asking, what have you done to your American. I have 2, one of them has the 22in barrel the other has the 16 threaded. The long barrel is a good shooter, but I haven't had a chance to shoot the short barrel in warm weather, but it shows promise. Both have the J&P striker spring and the Yodave kit. Sorry if I hijacked the thread.:)
  3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I think y'all are crazy. :D

Of course I have done the same thing. We had five people show up and talked a few minutes about calling the match. Snow mixed with rain and strong winds. We decided to shoot after a few phone calls and had 15 more crazy shooters show up. :D

Shooting in that kind of weather makes the hot August matches cooler. ;)
    Looks like everyone had fun.
  4. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Now that is dedication. Good times and you will remember that shoot for ever. Now I live up here in weather like that all winter and have become too soft to go out in it and shoot and just sit in side and complain.
  5. Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy Active Member

I have seven CZ rimfires and all are box stock save for this particular American. I traded a dude for it and he had done a bang up job installing a Brookes Kit in it. It breaks at one pound. The action is very slick as well. I think he may have performed the poor man's action smoothing job (coated inside and out with JB Bore Cleaner and cycled it until it siezed up and then hosed it clean with brake cleaner). My other CZs seem to get that slick at about the 2000 round count. Occasionally, a CZ American gets to the states with the "floated" barrel touching the channel on one side or the other. This one was guilty of that. So, I did the sandpaper and dowel rod thing and then refinished the channel. Now, it free floats just like my first CZ American. I left the first CZ American's trigger as is because it has a pretty good break at 3 lbs 2 ozs and that keeps it eligible for CMP Sporter competition (two gold metals to its credit at Camp Perry so far).

Thanks for the kind remarks folks. We shoot this 50 yard rifle game on first weekends and a 25 yard pistol version on second weekends.

I shoot a S&W 41 or High Standard 106 in open sighted pistol class, an old Ruger Single Six 3 screw in open sighted revolver class, and a stainless Ruger Super Single Six with a Leupold 2X in the optically sighted class.

AND, after the pistol match with the racks still set up at 25 yards we shoot a rapid fire version of this game with rifles. We take the pdog off the top row and shoot the four rows of six silos each against a stop watch. Low aggregate time wins. We have handicapping built in for different action styles. Thus, a smooth and fast bolt gun can compete with an auto, lever, or pump. This is just a fun plinkin match to me and I rotate a lot of different .22 rifles through it - Taurus 62 pump carbine, Winchester 9422 lever, one of the CZs, an ole Remington 550-1 semi-auto, or a peep sighted Marlin 39A.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  6. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

...dont matter where ya live, cold is cold! But looks like it was fun and as long as all had a good time, all is good. Ive been getting out and doing some shooting with the weather we've had here and it makes a bit rough...I just dont ever get used to it. 46yrs of it, one would think you would be used to it...dont always work that way.