Cold Bluing Problems

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

CaliCollector
    (9/7/02 2:02:31 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All
    ezSupporter
    my cold blueing streaks and runs!!!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ok this is more than slightly embarrassing, but im reblueing a shotgun right now, first gun ive reblued to tell the truth, but i have reblued several old magazines with alot of success. ive cleaned the metal, used denatured alchahol, outters degreaser, brake and contact cleaner (all on various attempts) used steel wool to polish out the metal, used blue and rust remover on one attempt to be lazy about getting the old blue off, used fine emory cloth to remove the blue. but everytime i apply the cold blue i only get 2-3 coats (following the directions and rinsing , degreasing, buffing in between each coat) and by the time the 3rd or 4rth coat goes on it acts like the blue just runs off the metal, causeing streaks, and runs. also after 4 hours buffing and blueing the other night i was pretty proud of what i seen in my poorly lit garage , thought i was dont, oiled the magazine tube, it looked great, nice and dark black/blue, let it sit for a couple hours, and went out to check it out, it looked like hell, all the old slide marks where the blueing was rubbed off showed thru like daylight thru a knothole, finish was uneven, ect. ive dont the same procedure and steps on magazines and never had a problem, although i did cheat with the mags and use a sheet sander to polish those down and get the rust off. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?? i cant figure it out and its driving me nuts. also i was using a birchwood casey blueing kit that i bought at big-5, used them before on mags no probs. now im trying an outters brand blue kit... any advice and help would be appreciated, that or a price to have the damn thing parked before i just do the redneck finish on it, aka firerplace spray paint and a couple hours in the oven at 200 degrees. its a gorgeous shotgun, or could be, and id hate to do that to it, but im really getting frustrated.. thanks in advance
    Ray in California

Hadaway
    (9/7/02 5:27:23 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: my cold blueing streaks and runs!!!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In my experience, cold blue is better for touching up existing blueing rather than blueing whole guns. It can be done, but it's a lot of work and won't last like hot blueing.

That being said, here are a few hints.

If the old slide marks are showing through, its probably because they are polished to a different degree than the rest of the mag tube. What I mean is that when the slide was rubbing the mag tube and removing the blueing, it was also burnishing the metal and somewhat polishing it. Most people don't realize that polishing must be consistent for blueing. I'm not only talking about the grit of the cloth, I'm also talking about the direction of the polishing. If you polish the front half of the mag tube lengthwise and shoe shine the rear of the mag tube, your blueing will look totally different between the two areas.

I would recommend that you start polishing again with 240 grit cloth. Then work your way up to about 400 grit.

Also, put your parts in the oven and heat them to around 150 degrees. Not too hot, just fairly warm to the touch. This will open the pores in the steel and allow the cold blue to "stick" better.

I get $100 to parkerize a long gun if this doesn't work out for you.

Good Luck,
    Lee
    www.thearmsroom.com

CaliCollector
    (9/7/02 9:39:08 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: my cold blueing streaks and runs!!!
    Lee-
    thank you. after alittle more judicious use of emery cloth than i was originally comfortable with the streaks and bare spots on the mag tube are covering alot better. tonight after i take all the blue off yet again, i will be putting the parts in the oven for a bit and trying that. never would have thought to try it, but it makes alot of sense. thanks for the info and the price for a parkerize job, what color park is that?? Ray in California

Hadaway
    (9/7/02 10:35:16 pm)
    It's manganese phosphate, and the color is dark, dark grey. Almost black. Zinc phosphate is the lighter grey you see out there, but it's not as durable as the manganese.

Hope the heating works.
    Lee
    www.thearmsroom.com

CaliCollector
    (9/8/02 12:20:05 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Lee-
    im waiting till morning to see how the magazine tube turned out. it looked ALOT better this time, thank you so much for the heating idea. If this does not work out to the degree that i desire, where would i have to send my shotgun to??? Ray in California
    "Beware the man with only one gun, chances are he KNOWS how to use it."

Hadaway
    (9/8/02 10:48:51 am)
    The address is
    Corral Pawn Attn- Lee Hadaway
    126 E. Main
    Trinidad, Co.

Tell UPS that the gun is being sent to an FFL holder for repairs and you can ship it yourself. Also, I can ship it directly back to you.

I should be parkerizing the end of next week or the beginning of the next.

Thanks.
    Lee
    www.thearmsroom.com

CaliCollector
    (9/10/02 12:42:00 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Lee-
    those tips you gave me for cold blue are working GREAT!!! ive got the magazine tube just the right shade of blue black i was shooting for, almost perfect, with the exeptions of a couple pits i wasnt able to totally get out, but as far as streaks go, i have none!!!!! ive got a couple more passes on the barrel to get the color to match, but it too, with the exceptions of a couple pits that i couldnt get out totally, mainly out of fear of removing the stamps on the barrel, its almost perfect too!!! just a couple more coats of blue to get the shade just right, and the reciever is the same, just a couple more coats to dial in the coloring to match!!! ive yet to work on the slide arms or the metal caps on the slide on account its a wood slide and i havent figured how to get it apart without damaging something, but thats next, and after that, back together it goes, thank you so much for your help!!!!! with it ive done a job that i am VERY PROUD of!!! cold blue is a pain to work with, and i dont know how the finish will wear, but im more than happy with the new results... im saving your address and writing it down, i never know when im going to need a good park job. thanks for all the help and info Lee. Ray in California
    "Beware the man with only one gun, chances are he KNOWS how to use it."

kgnovum
    (9/19/02 11:14:24 pm)
    pub49.ezboard.com/fthefir...=323.topic