cold bluing

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by topper, Sep 26, 2009.

1. topper

topper New Member

I am having a hard time finding cold gun bluing paste/liquid in the stores. what happened to it? I was a wal-mart yesterday and could not find it and the sales clerk said they did not have it anymore. what????? Is this something else the government does not want me to have or is 'unsafe' or is it just in short supply? i have a very small amount of liquid birchwood casey, but not enough to reblue my old .22 remington. BTW, would Mrs. Stewarts liquid laundry bluing work? It seems to be colorfast, but i can't find any information on wheather it would be ok for gun barrel bluing. any ideas? thanks
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

No.

From Mrs. Stewarts website.

>Bluing is a fabric whitener. When fabric is manufactured, it begins as a grayish product - correctly called "gray goods". These "gray goods" go through a rigorous process of chemical bleaching, cleaning and finally bluing to make them appear sparkling white in color. As the fabric experiences repeated washings and age, the bluing escapes and the gray or yellowish color returns. Mrs. Stewart's Bluing provides an opportunity for the consumer to add the bluing back in, thus restoring the just-new white appearance. Mrs. Stewart's Bluing is biodegradable, nontoxic and environmentally friendly. Always follow the instructions for using Mrs. Stewart's Bluing. It is important not to use too much bluing. If you do, follow the instructions for removal of excess bluing.<

Cold bluing is, basically, copper sulfate mixed with a mild acid. You degrease the metal, and rub on the bluing. The copper sticks to the steel and the acid turns the copper black. Continue adding coats until the blued area is the color you are looking for. Wash with water, which removes the acid and stops the copper's color change, then coat with oil to protect.
  3. Slowrid-Der

Slowrid-Der New Member

4. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

5. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Cold bluing is not recommended for refinishing complete guns. It should be used for touch ups only.
  6. dianalv

dianalv New Member

I recommend not going there. It's hard to match touch ups, and it's not durable for redoing whole guns. It's not that expensive to send out your gun for a complete hot reblueing to a qualified gun smith. Damn cheap, in fact, considering, and a lot less work and stress than trying to do it yourself and match it up. Much better results.
  7. fprefect

fprefect New Member

I haven't looked for any recently but I suspect it's still around. From personal experience, I would not recommend using it on a rifle or shotgun that is of any value. Have it done right.

However, as a cheap alternative to a gun not worth the cost of a hot blue, it will prevent rust and will more than likely improve the appearance of the gun considerably. But if it's a gun you use and handle a lot, be prepared to do it again within a year or so.

F. Prefect
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  8. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Cold bluing offers VERY little protection against rust.
    If you are going to have a gun refinished, consider having an improved finish like plating or nitriding applied. It cost very little more than rebluing, and prevents rust.
  9. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

10. langenc

langenc Member

Get some Oxpho from Brownells--the PASTE type. Best going.