Cold lunch ideas?

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by Crpdeth, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Hey guys... I'd like to pick your brain. :)

I'm in landscaping and simply don't like to do the whole fast food thing very often so I am looking for ideas for things that I can prepare on the weekend which I can toss in a lunch box that actually tastes good and save money on breaks and lunch.

Things that I have already been doing include;

Sandwiches... I love them, but you have to keep things separate in order to keep the bread from getting soggy. To remedy this I have often times placed things like pickles, tomatoes and mustard between two pieces of lunch-meat, then put them on bread when I get ready to eat.

Ham, egg and cheese biscuits. These taste really good hot, but not so much while cold.

Burritos. I love them, but again, not that great cold.

Pizza. I guess this is my favorite.

Beanie weenies. I like to cook up my own spicy variation.

Spaghetti... Hard to beat spaghetti!!!

Any other ideas?

TIA folks!

Crpdeth
  2. big steve

big steve New Member

chicken cold on a sandwhich tastes good
  3. Willie

Willie Active Member

You could pick up a cheap microwave and heat things up that way. I have outfitted my trucks(we are electricians) for years this way. That way you can have leftovers too. The only drawback we found was that most men are slobs and after a while the micros are so bad you don't want to touch it. But if you are nearby or using it yourself you can control that. Might need a invertor or a long cord!
  4. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

So true!

I have a lot of chicken/turkey in the freezer that I have smoked... You don't need much more than some mayo and peppers to make a good sammie! :D

I suppose I'm not "most men" in the way that I am a bit of a clean freak, but not so much at work... I realized a long time ago that, like it or not, things are just gonna be dirty in my line of work. :D:D:D

This is a good idea though, Willie... How hard is it to wire something like this up? I'm thinking that if you can wire in a microwave you could do a toaster oven instead? I can think of lots of things that would be really good, maybe wrapped in foil, then popped into a toaster oven.

Thanks guys... Keep the ideas coming please!

Crpdeth
  5. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT New Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    Chop & mix avacado, onion, tomatos, hot or mild peppers.

Keep cool, refigerated or on ice in lunch box

Take your favorite bread, pita pockets, soft flour or corn tortillas.

Spoon the concoction on your bread & enjoy.

Healthy, cheap & refreshing in the summer.
  6. big steve

big steve New Member

mmm smoked tastes even better you could just do that and make a good sandwhich im getting hungry lol
  7. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

Egg noodle pasta with tuna and Italian dressing
  8. big steve

big steve New Member

that sounds good
  9. Monkey Hollow

Monkey Hollow New Member

Here's another idea to throw into the mix. I carry a folding backpacker stove and a 1 quart stainless camp pot with a folding handle. I use a Coleman Peak 1 stove that burns white gas or kerosene. I've made many meals on the back of a truck with this setup. I take ramen soup and throw in some cut up leftover chicken, steak or pork. There's a variety of canned food that heats up really quick, like the Chunky soups, all the different pasta like ravioli and Spaghetti-O's. I keep everything in a ten dollar plastic toolbox. Inside my box I keep a week's worth of meals, including small cans of fruit. I have tea and hot cocoa for the cooler weather.Also in there are a washcloth and a bottle of Dawn for quick clean-ups. Carry a gallon jug of fresh water and you're all set to go.
  10. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

All very good ideas guys!

Thank you and keep 'em coming!

Al Mount... Sounds like we think a lot alike. I really wish you'd try this cucumber salsa... I failed to mention it in my initial post, but I've taken this to work a time or two and like you say, it is a really nice, cool and refreshing meal. I'll try to remember to make more of it this summer.

Kieran... That sounds really good as well!

Crpdeth
  11. Willie

Willie Active Member

What we found out is that most if not all jobs we do have a place to plug in a cord for power. Most customers don't mind either. I,like you,like clean things too but a lot of men don't care. MY truck and cooking stuff was always clean and tidy. Toaster oven would work well too. When it is cold hot food is nice!
  12. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT New Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    I looked at that thread Donny.... sure looks good.

I love cucumbers, but my burp factor is high... :eek:.... :D
  13. big steve

big steve New Member

This could turn out to become a pain but there is always those little propane cans and u hook them up to a mini stove and put the little pot on it and it heats stuff up and cooks u could try one of those

Steve-
  14. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    In the summer I like fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers sliced up with seasoned salt sprinkled over the top. Sometimes I'll add some salad dressing. I like tomato sandwiches too. Cold pizza is great! Chicken strips are good cold too. I like to make Greek pitas with grilled chicken, feta cheese, pita bread, and marinated veggies. I chop up peppers, onions, cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, garlic, and squash then marinate them in Italian dressing or olive oil and spices. Mix in the chicken and cheese and stuff the pockets. Eat and be happy.
  15. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Thanks a lot guys... You're helping me keep the ol' wheels spinning.

I mixed up a big batch of egg/tuna salad with jalapenos, cayenne, apples etc... Next time I'll try the noodles with it.

I think this will be good with either bread or Ritz.

:)
  16. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Tongue, cook it up, refrigerate, slice as needed for sandwiches and put the condiments on before you eat. Beats the living daylights out of Oscar Mayer cold cuts.
  17. bmpeele

bmpeele New Member

Turkey sandwiches and potato salad maybe?
  18. navis128

navis128 New Member

Do you like cream cheese?

Try using that on your bread instead of mayo and mustard. The bread doesn't get soggy.

Try wrapping up cold chicken in a tortilla...they aren't just for burritos. :)
  19. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Some of those sound really good but being a landscaper does mayo products do your stomach ok in the heat? We eat alot of tortillas filled with taco meat and cheese or turkey bacon and cheese even sausage and peppers. I fold them over roll a half turn fold the sides in and finish rolling seal with a toothpick and brown them in a little oil. They are great cold too. I will make a bunch and take them for lunch.
  20. wpage

wpage Active Member

Balsamic vinegar is a good base for your lunch turkey sandwich...
    The rest sounds good!