Cold rainy day

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by todd51, Jan 18, 2011.

1. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

What does an old man do on a cold rainy day? Well he gets ready for a nice warm sunny day.
    Did some reloading the last couple of days. Mostly .38 spl. using 158gr. Hunters Supply Flat Point along with 3.5grs. of Winchester 231.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Nice ! I just loaded up some 38's myself. 110gn Speer Blitz over 5.5gn of 231, lots o fun to shoot !!
  3. Stargazer

Stargazer New Member

I've been loading up about 500 rds of .223 last couple of days. Thinking about doing some 38 spl. wadcutters next. I got a good deal on some locally made HBWC, $38 per 500. BTW, looks like we have the same equipment. I purchased a RCBS reloading kit in 1982 from a friend while in the Air Force. It included an RCBS JR. press, powder measure w/ stand, two reloading trays, 510 balance scale, powcer funnel, primer flip tray, and a bunch of other assorted stuff. Still using till this day, did upgrade to a Dillion 550B in 92.

Stargazer
    USAF Retired MSgt.
    NRA Life Member
  4. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

Freezing rain up here today. I loaded some .41 magnum (really ".41 Special" with my load) using 6.8 grains of AutoComp and Berry's plated .41 bullet. This is a good load for use indoors in the winter. 850 fps from my 4" S&W Model 57.
  5. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Yes Stargazer the weather around here isn't good for much other than head to the basement and load. I did the .223 in the past week or two. Waiting on some .357 brass that is on back order. Got to do a bunch of 9mm before it warms up. It would just be a muddy mess down at the range and the older I get the more I like my creature comforts.

Oneida Steve, you can have that freezing rain, I want no part of that sort of weather.

You fellows enjoy your reloading, I know I do mine.

Gees I don't remember when I got that RCBS kit but it must have been in the '70's some time. I look longingly at the Dillions and if I was younger I would be making a move in that direction but I got nothing but time so I am still using the single stage.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

very nice todd, that amount of ammo would last me about 2 hours at the range. BTW, you are very well organized for an old timer. The old timer i learnt most of my knowledge from was disorganized and set in his ways, I tried to organize his stuff once, and he couldnt find a damn thing right in front of his face, with it strowed he knew right where everything was...;) I miss that old fart, RIP Ronnie Pyle...:salute:
  7. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Yea old farts rule, till a young whipper snapper comes along and puts us in our place. :D

I admit to being somewhat anal. But all those years on the fire dept. with a place for everything and everything in it's place stays with you.

There is almost always some of the "Old Guys" along when I go to the range so every one shoots some but nobody shoots a lot. But we have to allow time for tale telling, coffee/beer drinking and "nap time". :D
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

that sounds like a fantastic day at the range...