The Firearms Forum banner

Cold Steel knives, Opinions?

13K views 51 replies 20 participants last post by  Zane71464 
#1 ·
I was wondering what you guys think about cold steel knives. My first one, Pendleton light hunter I've used on "five" European deer skull mounts and thats about 5-6 hours of non-stop cutting and alot of "skull-scapping" (each mount) and such. And so far, it's outlasted ANY edged blade I own.
So, I ordered the Roach Belly from midway and it's more of a skinner blade.
I was looking at the Hunter series knives that cold steel have and higher $$$'s without a doubt. But over the years, Buck, Gerber, Case and etc., out of every knife I've used over the years, the Cold Steels that I have used has me sold as to the quality of the steel.
I was wondering what your thoughts on them are?

#4 ·
I like em alot. I dont own any but have put edges on more than a couple. They are high quality knives. Someday my cheap ass will wear my paraframe out and buy a new Cold Steel blade.

#6 · (Edited)
I got a couple...first class blades and mechanisims...got a couple more for grandson and son in law...No arguement that CS makes dang good products.

#9 ·
I've thought many times long and hard about picking up one of the plain blade master hunters. Its the right blade shape I like, and the handle looks pretty grippy when its bloody.

I got my dad one of the bird and trout knives, and he loves it. A lot easier to clean than his thin bladed folders for that task, and I dont think he's ever touched a stone to the blade, and its been around for about 10 years now.

I know quite a few people who have had nothing but compliments for them as well. Particularly their machetes, apparently them things are the bomb diggity for clearing brush.

#11 ·
I must admit I am spoilt to the gut hook feature. Sure makes skinning an animal easy.
Well Josh, to tell you the truth...up until about three years ago I never owned, non-the less used a gut hook.
(about three years ago) the girl friend bought me one for, just cus she likes me i reckon, but never knew what I had been miss'in out on all these years!
I own 2 now and never go hunti'n without one ever....
two main things I carry while I'm hunt'n (besides my weapon of choice) is a gut hook knife and a pair of "surgen's gloves" :D (a real handy item)
I'm not afraid of getti'n dirty at all, but why not have clean fresh hands to have a smoke after a good guttin!!!

#12 ·
I've thought many times long and hard about picking up one of the plain blade master hunters. Its the right blade shape I like, and the handle looks pretty grippy when its bloody.

I got my dad one of the bird and trout knives, and he loves it. A lot easier to clean than his thin bladed folders for that task, and I dont think he's ever touched a stone to the blade, and its been around for about 10 years now.

I know quite a few people who have had nothing but compliments for them as well. Particularly their machetes, apparently them things are the bomb diggity for clearing brush.
the handles do look pretty good as far as getti'n a good grip, unlike the "cheaper" ones....(that I own :D) but if I ever get my Dremel back from Dremel, I'll fix my handles for more grippi'n power.

#13 ·
Well Josh, to tell you the truth...up until about three years ago I never owned, non-the less used a gut hook.
(about three years ago) the girl friend bought me one for, just cus she likes me i reckon, but never knew what I had been miss'in out on all these years!
I own 2 now and never go hunti'n without one ever....
two main things I carry while I'm hunt'n (besides my weapon of choice) is a gut hook knife and a pair of "surgen's gloves" :D (a real handy item)
I'm not afraid of getti'n dirty at all, but why not have clean fresh hands to have a smoke after a good guttin!!!
Glad I aint the only one. I keep butt inspection gloves and 2 bottles of water in my skinnin bag.

#14 ·
:thumbsup:
I took my nephew deer hunti'n here a few years back and after he'd gut shot a decent buck...I got "me" :D gloves out. He asked, "what the he**?" AfterI commenced the gutti'n process..well now he carries a few pairs every huntin venture!

#15 ·
oohh, gutshot sucks. Makes for a nasty stinky mess of a field dress process. :bleh:

#16 ·
...and that "smell" is hard to get off. I'm not sure if it's the smell that stays as much as it get's into the nasal "cavities" and stays! and seems like everytime I'm hunt'n with someone, I get the nasty job. Maybe for the fact, I do the cutti'n of the meat and I dont want it messed up too much before we get it back and hung.
(as in; "leave it to the heck alone...I'll gut the beast"! :banghead::tapfoot:

#17 ·
Unless you want the tenderloins, you can get by without gutting them. On a gutshot deer, I would just skin and take off the quaters and loins. That way you dont have to mess with them stinking guts.

#18 ·
Yes sir Country! Ive done that on about 2 deer that I can recall.
One, the guy shot it to pieces. The second one, ME and a buddy got one, but it was one that "didnt wanna die"! He'd put 3 -12ga slugs in the buck and we tracked it and I ended up with 2 slugs in it, one chest shot. But we've done two that way...wasnt nothing else too do but take what we could get and leave the scaps...

#19 ·
I need to get someone to let me borrow their gut hook next time I get a deer. I've been wanting to try one, just haven't had the opportunity.

I don't care for using gloves, unless its a gut shot. I rely a lot on feeling what I'm doing, and the gloves mess with that too much for me. But I will definitely second the couple extra bottles of water for rinsing off. Unless its close enough to the house I can't get to it on the quad, always bring the extra water. I hate cleaning blood out of the texture of a steering wheel :(

#20 ·
I need to get someone to let me borrow their gut hook next time I get a deer. I've been wanting to try one, just haven't had the opportunity.

I don't care for using gloves, unless its a gut shot. I rely a lot on feeling what I'm doing, and the gloves mess with that too much for me. But I will definitely second the couple extra bottles of water for rinsing off. Unless its close enough to the house I can't get to it on the quad, always bring the extra water. I hate cleaning blood out of the texture of a steering wheel :(
You'll see what you might have been missin with the guy-hook knife, like opening one up with one stroke and no chance of getti'n into the gut.

With the "gloves" I use, no problem with feeli'n anything. Put'em on do the job and peel 'em off, lot nicer.

Attachments

#23 ·
I like CS knives. Solid and retain a edge really well. I had there tanto for years, till my ex-wife took it with her. It could hack through bones and still retain it's edge. I also bought a CS Torpedo to tool around with. It's a load of fun. Might be able to kill a rabbit too. I won't purchase another one though, as all their production is in PRC. It's not the quality of the steel. Unfortunately, trying to find a american made knife of similar quality (or greater) at the same price is impossible.

#24 ·
I was told here a few weeks ago, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but was in a hardware store and the feller had a display case of CASE knives.

I was checking them out and the subject of being made in America came up.
He told me that Case Knives are now being made over sea's....?

G
#25 ·
Spyderco makes some knives in china.

Not everyone can afford a $150 EDC knife.

I am lucky as I can get spyderco's for about 40% off and SOG for 50% off and Kershaw between 40and 50% off. So I am buying them up while I can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.