The Firearms Forum banner

Cold Steel knives, Opinions?

13K views 51 replies 20 participants last post by  Zane71464 
#1 ·
I was wondering what you guys think about cold steel knives. My first one, Pendleton light hunter I've used on "five" European deer skull mounts and thats about 5-6 hours of non-stop cutting and alot of "skull-scapping" (each mount) and such. And so far, it's outlasted ANY edged blade I own.
So, I ordered the Roach Belly from midway and it's more of a skinner blade.
I was looking at the Hunter series knives that cold steel have and higher $$$'s without a doubt. But over the years, Buck, Gerber, Case and etc., out of every knife I've used over the years, the Cold Steels that I have used has me sold as to the quality of the steel.
I was wondering what your thoughts on them are?

#27 ·
I see Cold Steel knives from smoke shops to swap meets. Never had any experience with them, just assumed they were imported or something since I see the brand more than any other.
I have just two of the "cheapy's" and so far, (as far as keeping an edge over a LONG time) they will out last any knife Ive got!
Once I got put the right angle/egde on them, a few swaths with a stone and their back to shaveing.

#28 · (Edited)
THey are Good knives but somewhat overpriced, they have a an inexpensive Zytel or rubber handle mated to usually a AUS 8 (Austenic 8 steel) blade. Put together by a simple Rivet and using a simple lockback mechanism, nothing fancy.
However i think that they could sell for about %30 less than what they sell for.

However their blades are quality blades made in Seki city to a high standard, i would say about 90% of the cost a Cold steel knife is in the blade -as it should be.

I own 3 of them , a small Voyager, a large Voyager and a Kobun

#29 ·
I was wondering what the handles would be like on the hunter series, hansom.
For that price i was hoping they would be better than the cheaper priced
ones!
The two that I do have, been thinki'n of taking the dremel to them and
making some "non-slip" 'features' as basically they dont have much grip
when messy.

#30 ·
I have several Cold steel knives, most folding , a couple fixed. I have found them to be very decent knives that hold a good edge. I tried to find out what type steel was used and I found this comment from AG Russel on his knife forum " The steel used by Cold Steel is what whatever they want it to be on the day you ask ", I had to smile at that.btw His forum home page has a very good run down on the different steels used.

#31 ·
I would say that 99% of Cold steel knife blades are AUS8, its a good steel ideal for pocket knives and knives that will actually used, i also like AUS6 mostly used by CRKT knives , these steels strike a balace between edge holding and ease of sharpening, these steels can easily be sharpened in the field, AUS 6 is a little softer but is also a little more forgiving, it gives a lot of flex without breaking.

Cold steel knives are usually very lightweight and tough.
They could sell for cheaper though, but i guess it cost a lot to ship out the blades from Seki city.

As for the Hunter series , the handles look like a Neoprene rubber , like what is on my Kobun.

#32 · (Edited)
I have several Cold steel knives, most folding , a couple fixed. I have found them to be very decent knives that hold a good edge. I tried to find out what type steel was used and I found this comment from AG Russel on his knife forum " The steel used by Cold Steel is what whatever they want it to be on the day you ask ", I had to smile at that.btw His forum home page has a very good run down on the different steels used.
I seen that too, RJay. Ive got their DVD and the bending as they do
on those "blades" is something else!

I would say that 99% of Cold steel knife blades are AUS8, its a good steel ideal for pocket knives and knives that will actually used, i also like AUS6 mostly used by CRKT knives , these steels strike a balace between edge holding and ease of sharpening, these steels can easily be sharpened in the field, AUS 6 is a little softer but is also a little more forgiving, it gives a lot of flex without breaking.

Cold steel knives are usually very lightweight and tough.
They could sell for cheaper though, but i guess it cost a lot to ship out the blades from Seki city.

As for the Hunter series , the handles look like a Neoprene rubber , like what is on my Kobun.
That's what I was thinking it looked like hansom, like a neoprene of sorts.
And agree on the ease of getting a egde back on them.

I used the Roach Belly that I'd just gotten on a European Skull mount that was in the freezer from this past bow season that a guy brought to me to
take care of.
I started out with all the usual tools I use, but all in all, that one blade
about done it all! I done this one in a record time for me (3 & 1/2 hours)
and finished up, cleaned up all the tools and wiped them all down and
oiled. That blade was still sharp, at one point away from still shaveing!

And that sort of work, espcecially when they bring me the whole neck
included, I'm rough on blades.

#33 ·
I like my Spartan, fits in my pocket, no prob. I might get something smaller, though. I really don't want to freak out someone out, if it falls out of my pocket.

#34 ·
I'v been thinking of a buying one of the pocket knives, but have the old Case knife
that I've had for a numbe rof years.
The longer blade's I have more use for.

#35 ·
The best price I found for new knives is at blade HQ. I compared the price from CS and Blade HQ was cheaper. http://www.bladehq.com/

If you need a sheath knife for everything, look at the CS SRK (Survival Rescue Knife). I've done deer, rabbits, everything with it, plus chop down trees and open canned goods. Indestructable.

#36 ·
I love cold steel knives! The only thing I don't like them is there commercials, they are pretty cheesy. But commercials and knives are two different things. So I love their knives and dont like their commercials. Definitely my favorite brand of knife right now. Them and tops.

#37 · (Edited)
If you are looking for a good affordable knife that can take a lickin, cold steel can provide it. Although CRSK puts out some awsom knives that do hold an edge. The top knife in this picture is a real work horse. I never liked a serrated blade until this knife. My back yard had old anchors and stuff, with different types of rope. This knife cut rope, cardboard, carpet, and one finger better than any knife I ever owned (although my Buck Special, after being sharpened on a lansky did seem to enter my leg rather effortlessly and with no intent on stopping). :eek:
The Cold Steel Pro Lite comes serrated and non. The serrated is just a wonderful knife, heck, it can pass as a small spade. I've had it for 7 years, used the heck out of it, and it doesn't need sharpening. It's still scary.
anyway, thats my opinion.

#38 ·
The best price I found for new knives is at blade HQ. I compared the price from CS and Blade HQ was cheaper. http://www.bladehq.com/

If you need a sheath knife for everything, look at the CS SRK (Survival Rescue Knife). I've done deer, rabbits, everything with it, plus chop down trees and open canned goods. Indestructable.
I dont know how I've been passing this up, but for some reason, I couldnt get the lik to open?
If you are looking for a good affordable knife that can take a lickin, cold steel can provide it. Although CRSK puts out some awsom knives that do hold an edge. The top knife in this picture is a real work horse. I never liked a serrated blade until this knife. My back yard had old anchors and stuff, with different types of rope. This knife cut rope, cardboard, carpet, and one finger better than any knife I ever owned (although my Buck Special, after being sharpened on a lansky did seem to enter my leg rather effortlessly and with no intent on stopping). :eek:
The Cold Steel Pro Lite comes serrated and non. The serrated is just a wonderful knife, heck, it can pass as a small spade. I've had it for 7 years, used the heck out of it, and it doesn't need sharpening. It's still scary.
anyway, thats my opinion.
That's some fine knives you have there jstgsn!
I'm not real set on the serrated baldes but do have a few. A here while
back I bought one of the Gerber BG Ultimate Survival's with the serrated
1/2 blade and like it.

Went out shroom hunti'n today with a few friends and walked about an
hour to get to where they were up and had the Gerber on me. Had it out
a time 'er two back there and noticed it was gone out of the sheath about
3/4th's of the way back.
Needless to say, I went back with no luck as a few I was with was running
out of time and had to go. I got back to the house as it was weighing heavy
on my mind, and walked back there myself and found that knife!
Even had one guy tell me, "your walking all the way back there for that knife?"
"I'll buy ya another one to save the walk and the heat!"

I just looked and said, I'll be back! (wasnt gonna make that knife another
lost one on the list!)

#39 ·
I was told here a few weeks ago, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but was in a hardware store and the feller had a display case of CASE knives.

I was checking them out and the subject of being made in America came up.
He told me that Case Knives are now being made over sea's....?
Zane, I did a little bit of reading up on this. Case's lower end knives are being made overseas (PRC I believe):mad: but their middle and higher grade knives are made in the states.

#41 ·
I have one cold steel knife, and it has by far the best blade of all my dozens of knifes. I use my knifes for work daily, so I don't normally buy pricey ones. But, Cold Steel is my my preference if i'm feeling like treating myself. A great choice for anyone wanting a high quality blade IMO.

#43 ·
Ive got a handful of Cold Steel, Ive yet to put them to any real testing though, these are more home defense and hiking defense for me, and just cool factor lol.edit,not all of these are Cold Steel. Im sure you can tell which ones are.
Nice collection Jason! I do see a couple of Case and a K-Bar?

#44 ·
i dont buy there knives for one reason. Lynn is an a**hole. i met him years ago at a show and he might be the most arrogant man on the planet.
i'll buy a Buck any day of the week. great knives, the best customer service in the business, and the Buck family is good people.

#46 ·
i dont buy there knives for one reason. Lynn is an a**hole. i met him years ago at a show and he might be the most arrogant man on the planet.
i'll buy a Buck any day of the week. great knives, the best customer service in the business, and the Buck family is good people.
DOnt tell me Lynn is the main guy in the slacks swinging swords on their dvd?

#47 · (Edited)
DOnt tell me Lynn is the main guy in the slacks swinging swords on their dvd?
i havent watched any of there recent vids, but i think he does have some "instructional videos" on knife fighting techniques :rolleyes: on youtube.

when he started bashing on other companies for producing high dollar junk (KaBar was one that really rubbed me wrong) i walked away.
imo smearing others work in an attempt to sell your products is about the crappiest salesmanship as there is.

#48 ·
i havent watched any of there recent vids, but i think he does have some "instructional videos" on knife fighting techniques :rolleyes: on youtube.

when he started bashing on other companies for producing high dollar junk (KaBar was one that really rubbed me wrong) i walked away.
imo smearing others work in an attempt to sell your products is about the crappiest salesmanship as there is.
The guy Im talking about sometimes does indeed speak of not getting ripped by other companies that claim to make the best and so on,,,,,,,,but he never has mentioned a name. Wish I could find the dvd sleeve, wonder if its him.

#49 ·
ah I just googled him, its the same guy.

IDK, if I like the product and it works well for me...

Ive got plenty of other knives as well, however you are correct about it being distasteful to bash other companies.

Everyone's got their hangups of some sort.

Jack in the box bashes the competition all the time and we still eat jack in the box lmao.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.