The Firearms Forum banner

Cold Steel knives?

4K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  wingspar 
#1 ·
I was at the gun shop the other day and bought a new gun, and with the purchase, they gave me a new Cold Steel (Pendleton Lite Hunter) knife.
Ive never heard of them and was wondering if any of you guys have or used them? Right out of the box it is razor sharp and they claim almost indestructible....but, they are made in Taiwan...with that said, wonder how they do after a good sharpening when dull?

#2 ·
Cold Steel is a decent knife, They got a High Carbon blade and are tough dont get me wrong but the problem is the Very tip of em is Brittle. I have broken the tip off three so far and well I am not impressed. I like SOG better.

#3 ·
Thanks Big, I figured they couldnt be "too much" as he said he sells them for $20 out-right, that and being made in tiawan. But, the box does say a 5yr warranty, so I'll have to put it through the test next time I get myself a deer and see how it fairs. The one thing I noticed right off the bat is the handle on it, not much of a grip for the hand not to slide on it. Going to get the Dremal oot and put some small "grooves" all around the handle..

#4 ·
i have a cold steel ti lite. well i will have it another couple days as it's selling on ebay.

the ti lite is a folding dagger in case you dont know. it has a pocket clip on one side, liner lock and plastic handles.

well long story short the blade had some play in it front to back, not side to side. and the boot clip was loose. so i sent it back to cold steel with a note asking for repair. also asking that the clip be tightened since i couldnt find a torx driver small enough to tighten it.

anyways when i received the knife back it came in a box, no note, not fixed or tightened. the box had 3 suckers in it.

the only thing i can tell they did was tighten the blade screw with adjusted the side to side play not the front/back play. i can understand that i've abused the knife and front back play isnt covered under warranty but they should have written a quick note saying so. and there is no reason they couldnt have tightened the daggum clip like i asked. i did explain i couldnt find a driver to fit it.

so i have a bad taste for cold steel because of this.

(in a billy mays voice) but wait theres more!

i cant resharpen the blade. it was razor sharp when i got it. but it eventually got dull and my arkansas stones wont touch it. i have a diamond stone as well, which is getting a tad old.... it will touch it but very slowly.

i cant stand a knife with a blade so hard you cant sharpen it

#5 ·
i have a cold steel ti lite. well i will have it another couple days as it's selling on ebay.

the ti lite is a folding dagger in case you dont know. it has a pocket clip on one side, liner lock and plastic handles.

well long story short the blade had some play in it front to back, not side to side. and the boot clip was loose. so i sent it back to cold steel with a note asking for repair. also asking that the clip be tightened since i couldnt find a torx driver small enough to tighten it.

anyways when i received the knife back it came in a box, no note, not fixed or tightened. the box had 3 suckers in it.

the only thing i can tell they did was tighten the blade screw with adjusted the side to side play not the front/back play. i can understand that i've abused the knife and front back play isnt covered under warranty but they should have written a quick note saying so. and there is no reason they couldnt have tightened the daggum clip like i asked. i did explain i couldnt find a driver to fit it.

so i have a bad taste for cold steel because of this.

(in a billy mays voice) but wait theres more!

i cant resharpen the blade. it was razor sharp when i got it. but it eventually got dull and my arkansas stones wont touch it. i have a diamond stone as well, which is getting a tad old.... it will touch it but very slowly.

i cant stand a knife with a blade so hard you cant sharpen it
Sorry to hear about your luck with the people from Cold Steel John, and that pretty much sums it up for me about that matter! At very least they could have done was send you "something" back explaining something?! VERY poor/shotty customer service from what I see.
And agree with you on having something so hard it cant be re-sharpened...not good!

#6 ·
I really like Cold Steel knives. I have 3 of them, a K4 neck knife, a Loyd Pendelton Hunter fixed blade and my favorite knife a San Mai III Trail master Bowie. The pendleton Hunter and Trail Master are awesome. The K4 is pretty much a paring knife but it was really inexpensive.

#7 ·
Well, if a Deer would happen to "happen" upon me before season goes out...:eek:, I would like to try the one I got out!!! lol
(still holding out for the "big boy" that is still running, or should I say, hiding about! ;) Ive been sitting and cutting alot of paper and cardboard messing around waiting for it to get dull, and no luck yet....I'm wanting to get it at least a bit dull, so I can put the stones to it.:rolleyes:

#9 ·
personally i dont like a knife that isn't easily sharpened with an arkansas stone. i wouldnt even want a randall if i had to use a diamond stone on it. i just dont like them new fangled rascals

#12 ·
Keep in mind Cold Steel sells several grades of product.Some are cheaper steel like their machetes are made of, but then you also have the exotic San Mai blades that are layered with two grades of steel to give both good edge characteristics and good flexibility.
Of course those more high grade blades are going to cost you serious dough!

#13 ·
I did get a chance to try out the one that I got during deer gun season. Stayed sharp through the skinning and also cut most of it up with the knife. Still has a good sharp edge.

#14 ·
I have a cold steel Mini-Tac neck knife. It's on me all day every day. I'm disabled and it's a hassle getting a pocket knife out for the many small cutting chores throughout the day. The first one I had was a different style cold steel neck knife and the handle came apart after several years of sweat and showers. No problem with the Mini-Tac.

#15 ·
i got my first cold steel knife in the early 90's when they were still a small company and all of their stuff was made in the US. it was stolen but i still lust for another.
they are making the model again, but the blade shape has changed a bit.

they have added the ax grind on the spine and the thumb serrations, both of which mine didn't have

#16 ·
I'd have to agree that Cold Steel makes low grade economy knives right on up to some exotic expensive blades. Check out their website. They have videos on almost all of their knives. That Pendleton Lite Hunter looks like about the lowest quality knife they make. Not a blade to judge Cold Steel knives on.

My recent Cold Steel AK-47 purchase. Tho I don't like it as well as any of my Spyderco knives, I'm warming up to it each day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.