cold weather-cold feet

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by old semperfi, Jan 16, 2010.

1. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i love to hunt and it seems that the colder the weather,the more movement you get from game.i can be out all day long as long as my feet or hands do not get cold,once that happens its over.over the years ive learned a little trick.hand warmer packs will keep your hands warm but if you have to walk very far at all it seems like your feet gets cold quickly.here is the trick,wear thin socks to walk in,these will help to keep your feet from sweating.once at your spot,remove socks let feet air for a little while and then put thick socks on.once your feet start sweating evaporation makes them cold.dry feet and warm socks will prevent this. old semperfi
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Try wearing cotton socks and a pair of wool socks over them.
  3. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'm not a hunter so I have no anecdotal advice. I do like to hike and one thing that hiking manuals will tell you, is that cotton is NOT your friend. Cotton is like a sponge and retains the water (sweat) and holds it against your body. Personally I prefer socks that are a blend of wool and synthetics. They wick moisture away.
  4. blackcat_attilio

blackcat_attilio Member

Hi folks! Also my experience is more on hiking and as Insulation Tim wrote: cotton is NOT your/our friend. My feet are "delicate" and so they prefer socks in wool more than in a blend wool/synthetics, anyway both these materials are good to have not cold feet.I forgotten. Always for the same matter it should be better dress underwear in wool/synthetics.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  5. Popeye

Popeye New Member

I live in California. If my hands or feet get cold while hunting, I stop hunting. :D
  6. Sandman

Sandman New Member

I use sock liners. They are thin wicking material that draws the perspiration away from your skin. Add a couple of pairs of thick socks on top and they make a big difference.
  7. Bubblehead

Bubblehead New Member

The makers of those hand warmer things also make toe warmers. A strip goes on top of the toes and one underneath (outside of your socks of course).
  8. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i tried the warmers in my boots and i thought my feet were on fire,i could not get them out soon enough old semperfi
  9. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Cold hands and feet mean your core temp is going down. Yes it is important to keep your feet dry. What I do when hunting is wear a jumpsuit. If I can keep my core temp up my hands and feet are not going to bother me as much. All I am saying is that just because your hands and feet are cold you also want to keep your torso warm too.
  10. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

they have battery operated socks to keep feet warm
  11. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

When it's cold I wear two heavy pair of wool socks with rubber bottom/leather upper boots with felt liners. Now I don't walk a great deal and sit a lot.
  12. wpage

wpage Active Member

I buy my boots at least 2 sizes over. Then get felt packs to fill the base. Over that I apply the vented cushion pads for extra circulation and comfort...