Coldsteel Master Tanto

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by john riley, Jan 3, 2007.

1. john riley

john riley New Member

Hello,

My good Buddy just got me a COldsteel Master tanto for Christmas It's a beautifull knife (although a little big for me) 6 in tanto blade. Was wondering if anyone has one of these and if it could serve as a decent camp knife, It is obviously a more than adequate fighting knife but I'm more inclined to need a large blade for medium to heavy campchores than for dispatching enemy commandos all though being able to be both is nice. any opinions?
  2. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT New Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    I would venture to guess.......

The Lone Ranger would tell Tanto........

"Never take a knife to a gun fight" .....:D
  3. john riley

john riley New Member

couldn't agree more I'd rather have a firearm if it came to takin out bg's although after a number of years of kali training I'd rather have a knife or even a decent piece of timber than nothing....but there is no debating a firearms superiority as a weapon what I am more concerned with is the practial applications of the Master tanto (if any) in a wildernes environment thanks.:)
  4. Cold Steel is noted primarily for its design and production of extremely high-quality combat knives, John. Like you, I really don't have much use for that type of knife, at least not these days. I don't see why you could not use the Master Tanto as a hunting/camp knife though. The steel they use is of the highest quality and will orobably last longer than you will if properly cared for.

[​IMG]
  5. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

John

Cold Steel is definately top of the line, before you start venturing into "safe queen" knives. That said, I probabally wouldn't chop firewood with the Master Tanto...My chain saw cost less.

Take a peek at the LTC KUKRI, it is quite a bit less pricey and in my opinion more usable around camp.

I absolutely love a Tanto style blade myself, but it's kinda like you say, when would I actually need it? Well, I wouldn't hesitate to undress/gut a game animal with it or anything like that, but I'd definately want to guard a knife like yours against nicks and scratches.

Nice friend ya got there BTW. :D

Crpdeth
  6. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

I just went to FleaBay lusting after knives (thanks alot for getting it in my blood again BTW!) And was amazed at how the price had dropped on the Master Tanto, John.

I really couldn't believe it, so I went to Cold Steels's website and found that Some of FleaBays prices were 120.00 dollars cheaper than Cold Steels website, add to that, that you get a leather sheath in some instances. Hmmm, Guess I wont be shopping at Cold Steels website!

Crpdeth
  7. I've found that ordering anything from a manufacturer's website is usually a good way to get the old shaftamundo, Donny. The prices listed there are nearly always MSRP, which I translate as "Manufacturer's Suggested Ripoff Price." :D For example, I just ordered a Sypderco folder that is listed on their website at $77.00. I bought exactly the same knife from onother online site for $42.00.
  8. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

I believe it Rich!

I tend to forget about shopping alternate sites when I'm just browsing/window shopping, but then, I dont buy alot online compared to some people...It does seem that one should remember these alternate sites though! It's perfectly normal for me to see a price listed and just assume that it is the going price and that it's out of my range.

Crpdeth
  9. jvbladeslinger

jvbladeslinger New Member

I've owned my Recon Tonto for 20yrs. LOVE IT!!!! Been around the world with it & have yet too find a fault. Truely a knife to bet you're life on!
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
  10. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I Wouldn't say that:)

Attached Files:

11. travihanson

travihanson New Member

I want one.....I want one baaaad....
  12. Michael G

Michael G New Member

John, I don't know what you are looking for in a "Camp knife" but my 3 primary blades when I go deer hunting is a Cold Steel Master Hunter fixed blade, a Gerber 650 folder and a Sears carpet knife with interchangeable hooked blades.
    The one I carry every day (and do most everything with) is a Blackie Collins designed tactical with a mixed straight and serrated blade with an interchangeable side clip.
  13. Michael G

Michael G New Member

John, here a picture of the three I use at the deer camp. And one of my everyday carry for the last 8 to 10 years.

Attached Files: