1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

coldsteel

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by corpis66, Sep 21, 2006.

1. corpis66

corpis66 New Member

i am looking at thier Recon1 tanto.... anyone have one?? and whats the differance wit the G10 sacles as apposed to the Zytel? cuz gpknives has the ones with the zytel, and my small benchmade has some G10s i kinna like alot..
    anyhow... anyone got a lil review on the Recon1??
    it'll be like EDC but not really... i use my small BM griptilian for EDC but i guess the Coldsteel with be if i needa bust out somehting bigger yanoe :eek:
  2. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

I doubt it differs that much from the meat & patatoes tanto`s except for the darkened blade, as it can be had in either style. I prefer the tanto, for the cutting edge x2 it provides at the business end. I have used Cold Steel products for......I think around 15 years or more, brain fog. I have never been let down by that product and I have abused some. Remember this when you buy.

Lock Strength #1
    Blade sharpness (Out of the box) #1
    Tip strength #1

Price, "THE VERY BEST BANG FOR THE DOLLAR SPENT-PERIOD!!"

LTS
  3. corpis66

corpis66 New Member

thanks LTS, i've thot about it all night at work... i'ma make my way over to GPknives.com now and put in an order! :D :D
  4. corpis66

corpis66 New Member

heheh.. i put in an order yesterday. what i've got on the way is...
    Cold Steel Recon 1 Tanto and
    CRKT M21 14SF
    for a grand total of $152.35 :eek: :D :D
    if the wife finds out... i'll let her pick one out heheh... will post report when they come in... Tuesday... hopefully.
  5. stash247

stash247 New Member

Cold Steel has my loyalty, as arguably, the best factory knives available.
    Recently bought a 'Caledonian Edge' folder, with a San Mai blade, and am very satisfied with it.
    My background in knives is somewhat unususal, in that Case, and the like, were more than satisfactory, in my growing years, as 'work knies', but then, I had the pleasure of entering Military service.
    At this point, the tool became a weapon. My assignment, to 1 SFG, 1 SF, and later, 5 SFG, 1 SF, made a knife a 'Play in the dark' tool beyond compare; it simply got things done, and quietly, used well.
    Since leaving military service, my needs are somewhat reduced, but preparedness, less so reduced, and I continue to carry a 'little' work/utility knife, and a 'big' 'Go to Jesus, now', knife, more often than a gun.
    Overseas, the Gerber Mk I was a fine tool, got me home, three tours, with only a couple Purple Georges, and lots of ears: here in the world, it's just too big to keep the local law happy, so a folder is the deal.
    Al Mar makes some wicked nice folders, as does Kershaw, and Benchmade, and I own a few from all three.
    The Caledonian Edge, from Cold Steel, has agruably the best blade steel going, and is a BIG, visually impacting, 4+" spike blade folder, with enough integrity to defeat 'body armor', if you want to go there!
    If I were buying a defensive/offensive Knife, I'd give them more than a passing look; their Gurka Kukri is enough knife to go anywhere, with!
  6. corpis66

corpis66 New Member

well i got both of my new blades and to say the least i am impressed with both of them. BUT they are both HUGE!!! i don't know if i will EDC these but one or the other will accompany me quite often, esp when working in the yard and whatnot... i am somewhat dissapointed with the CRKT M21... i changed the carry clip around to the tip up style (figured i'd get used to it since most dealers only make thier blades this way now.. well most high end knives) and so i did and with very little strength i tightened the 3 lil screws down that hold the pocket clip in place and one of them stripped out.. oh well no biggie.

both came from the factory SHARP!!
    the feel and weight to me is really no different.. they are both heavy, but i am used to that i've been carrying a CRKT M1 for a while now. but the overall size of these monsters is unreal... way too big (for me for evryday use...)
    i just love the flippers on the M16 and so on blades... since i've used them i just cant see how i've managed without them.
    the Recon1 is just wicked mean!!... the thing is scarry and the G10 scales are WoW... super grippy, you will not lose your grip with this one. but beware... it'll prolly eat up your pants pocket or whatever you clip it too. i'd like to get a leather sheath for horizonal carrying this thing.
    while i have heard/read tons of negative things about ColdSteel i dont see any reason to complain...yet. we will see!
    wish i had the wifes camera to post some pics... maybe the inlaws will be done with it soon...? donno.
    anyhow if you got any questions about either of these blades just ask!
  7. LIKTOSHOOT

"while i have heard/read tons of negative things about ColdSteel i dont see any reason to complain...yet. we will see!"

I`d like to know of these complaints, from other makers no doubt filtered to make it look like owners.

Thompson`s claim stands alone with NO TAKERS and it has been that way since his challenge to other makers claims. He put the money up and it is still there.

Proof is the cold hard fact............No takers. Show how good your knife is and PROVE it`s better than Cold Steel. Big money-no takers-NONE!

LTS
  8. corpis66

corpis66 New Member

sorry it took so long to respond, i guess i should more less say, from my own personal experiance the lock up is tight, but the blade seems to work itself loose after a while or so (making it not tight)... i pryed open 2 paint cans and cut some beef jerky outta the wrapper, picked some gunk outta my nails and cut several thin cables at work, and this thing jiggles so much, i hafta keep a T6 IIRC? with me (i got it with my CRKT M1)
    I have read some post about the owner Lynn? just i guess 'stealing' some other companies ideas and such, not that i really care but i donno, i feel the videos they make just may be pushing the envelope a tad bit, not to knock 'em too much, i like the recon1 but if the blade seriously gets this loose this quickly... something is wrong.
    I plan on taking this thing on a family reuion next month, were goin campin for the weekend, so iw ill be able to really further use this thing in the woods... along with some other knives i plan to take out with me...
  9. LIKTOSHOOT

If it is loose to the point it bothers you concerning safety, send it back. It takes a concerted effort for me just to break a new Cold Steel folder in. I have never been able to thumb a new one open with my thumb and if I manage to do so......it could be considered painful by someone others standard. I am not that familuar with the newer style you chose.

I did send one back years ago, I was sent a #2 when I had ordered and payed for a #1. They refunded shipping and sent the right knife.

Hard to warranty a tool like a knife........but they do it right.

I would like to see a real picture of it instead of the catalog glammor shot.

LTS
  10. joeblack35703

joeblack35703 New Member

Hello!

I have imported cold steel products into Austria abaut 15 years ago and still have some of them left for private use, Fixed blades are all very good. The best hunting knife has been the Master hunter in carbon steel very sharp and kept the edge.
    The blades on foldes are very good but folders are missing a metal liner so whenever you pry with them the polymergrip might brake at the rivet - no problem in our urban world as CS always replaced them free of charge but it is not a top knife like a benchmade.
    The folders have very good day to day performance but I would not want them in a survival situation - a fixed CS any time.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  11. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i wont ever own another cold steel. i have a zytel ti-lite that i sent back for repair. the knife has play in the blade from front to back when locked open. and the belt clip is loose. so i asked for them to inspect the knife and tighten the clip. they returned it unrepaired, no note, clip still loose. the only thing in the box with the knife was 3 suckers.

least they could have done is put a note in the box saying kiss our butts ya know?
  12. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Mine actually had the handle bolster nearest the blade break on me while flipping the blade open. I gave it to a cop buddy of mine after I fixed it. I would go with anything from Protech,Spyderco or SOG.
  13. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

The edge got a little hairy on the Spartan, so I just sharpened it and it's good as new. Next one will be a a Koben.
  14. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

another thing i dont like about the ti-lite is that the blade is so hard it wont take an edge with an arkansas stone. at least not within any decent time constraint