1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Colin Powell...is it possible to be more out of touch?

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by 4EvrLearning, May 21, 2009.

1. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

If this was posted already, I apologize for the duplication. I just heard about it today.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124173905445498599.html

Colin Powell's Bad Advice
    May 8, 2009

In good times or bad, there's always someone willing to tell the Republican Party that the road to success is to embrace the liberal agenda. In a speech in Washington Monday, former Secretary of State Colin Powell joined the chorus. We hope for the sake of the country that his party doesn't listen.

Mr. Powell insisted that he doesn't want the Republicans to turn into Democrats or clones of the Democrats. But it's hard to see what other space he hopes the GOP will carve out for itself given his analysis. According to press accounts, Mr. Powell argued that America has changed, and "Americans do want to pay taxes for services" and "Americans are looking for more government in their life, not less."

If the American people want to pay more taxes, nobody seems to have told the Obama Administration. There's a reason that the President ran as a tax cutter and repeats at every opportunity that he's already, in his words, cut taxes for "95% of working families." The appetite for Walter Mondale-style honesty about the consequences of huge spending increases remains low, to judge by the Administration's own rhetoric.

But even if Mr. Powell is right, this supposed newfound appetite for bigger government isn't likely to last. Uncle Sam is like that overbearing relative that you only miss when he's gone. The appeal fades quickly after he's installed himself in your living room and starts pushing you around. If the Obama Administration manages to implement its agenda and grow federal spending to 30% of GDP or more -- taking over the health-care system, the mortgage industry, major banks and the auto industry along the way -- it won't be long before Americans lose their appetite for big government, assuming they ever found it.

At that point, a GOP that had embraced Mr. Powell's advice would find itself with even less credibility than it currently has on restoring government to a manageable size. Mr. Powell says it's bad for the country to have a shrinking GOP, and he's right. But even worse would be an opposition party in name only.
  2. artabr

artabr New Member

Great column, Gen. Powell needs to pull his head out and put down the kool aid.

Art
  3. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

I just lost some respect for Powell:(:(
  4. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Colen Powels policies are what caused the Republican voters to start dumping RINOS in the last 2 elections. When the choice was a conservative Dem. the Dem. won. GOP had better start finding some conservative Legislators, Governors and Businessmen to run for Congress or the GOP will cease to exist. May I sugest that they start looking for car dealers who lost their franchises, bond holders who have had the govt. steal their contractual holdings and GIVE it to the Unions which were a major cause of the current mess in Detroit. How about small businessmen who have been and will be Royaly scr**** by Emperor Obama. I don't think Sen. Mitch McConell (R) can stomach supporting conservatives.
  5. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Colin Powell came to the attention of most of us during the gulf war with his impressive daily briefings to the public. Now i don't know how much of the success of the conflict we can attribute to Powells leadership and I certainly don't want to rob him of due credit, but it seems to me that the real "hero" of that conflict was Gen Norman Schwarzkopf.

Despite that fact Powell became almost a legend. His popularity prompted many republicans to embrace him as a possible presidential candidate without even knowing his politics.

Well, after this last election there should be no question about what his political bent is. Powell clearly is not a conservative nor has he ever been.

BTW, does anyone know what Stormin Norman is up to these days?
  6. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

In my considered opinion, Powell is an idiot no better than any other RINO !!!!!!!!
  7. FJF0311

FJF0311 New Member

Can someone give me an example of Colin Powell actually doing something that would qualify as a Republican?

anything.

Just one!
  8. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Not I.
  9. Sadly, I don't believe he was ever anything else, Marlin.
  10. Angryisme

Angryisme New Member

none a ya's knew he voted for your current prez?
    he did!
  11. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Powell is absolutely wrong! :rolleyes: He's a successful man with a deep guilt problem, intent on turning the Republican party to the left. He never was a Republican. I believe his intent was to act as such and then attempt to sway the party to his actual line of thought. :mad:
  12. kerk

kerk New Member

That's OK. Powell's a republican............I'm a conservative..........two different parties.

If it walks like a duck..............

Arnie calls himself a republican also................how's that working out?
  13. kerk

kerk New Member

He said in an interview before the election, that he was supporting Obama.
  14. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Ditto!

mike
    gn
  15. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    I don't think that politics is his strong suit. He should stick to fighting wars. I think he's still miffed about going to UN about WMDs. Well, so am I, but still didn't, and don't, endorse Bammy. TJ