Collecting-up Spent Brass Casings

Discussion in 'Disabled Hunters & Shooters Forum' started by GConn, Apr 25, 2011.

1. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Got $1.99/lb again for yellow brass, but i can't complain about 20 free lbs.
  2. langenc

langenc Member

Summer 2011 brass here was about $1.95/pound.
  3. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

I use an old sheet or have dad or someone else look for where the shell lands. If unable to find them or by myself, I bring my metal detector out with me. That helps some.

I found some old 9mm that I shot 19-20 years ago with the metal detector. They were a few inches down in my parents back yard.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  4. Iron Eagle

Iron Eagle Well-Known Member

My Draco ak pistol throws them all over. I had a scrap piece of wood, and tossed it where most of them landed. It is a public range, because when I shot it at the house, people called the cops. Some folks a mile away complained! Sucker is loud!
  5. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

I find about 90 percent but i like the tarp idea,thats what ill do this weekend thanks for the tip.
  6. ares338

ares338 New Member

I am lucky that my wife and I also have about 24 acres we live on. An older pond on the back of our property was at a perfect elevation to use as a back stop for a home pistol range. We put out gravel at the shooting spot and compacted it making it easy to collect the brass, especially when the grandkids visit nd we make a game out of picking up the shiny things..lol.
  7. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

8. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

I use a Nut grabber also, I use a poly tarp also to stand or lay on.
  9. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

didnt know they had such a thing i want to order one is there any stores local that have these ie local gun shops or do I need to order from website?
  10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

ryan, if you're asking about the nut-grabber, they are made for picking up nuts that fall from the trees. They sell them in a couple of hardware stores, around here, since we got lots of pecan trees in this area.

Or you could go here.
    http://www.nutwizard.com/
  11. yetiman

yetiman New Member

Has anyone ever used the "ammo wizzard"? A friend of mine said his dad bought one and it picks the grass clean. I think they were originally used for walnuts but have been designed for smaller brass hulls.

http://www.ceddaa.com/Tools/Ammo-Brass-Wizard.html
  12. langenc

langenc Member

Right around $2.
  13. Lapua Kid

Lapua Kid New Member

Yes i'm lucky i can shoot on my property as well even hunt which i do . I shoot competetion grade rifles and pistols . I spend a great deal of time more than most weighing out brass ,trimming the neck diameter and length . I try to get my brass and every reloading componet the same as close as possible . I take great care of my brass not allowing it to just fling out .On some guns i have had the builder disable the extractor where it just dribbles out the brass to catch on a towel or leather mat . yes i know this is extreme but I enjoy tiny tiny groups .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  14. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

When at the club I try and get the farthest bench right and lay a tarp down too. pull the corners together and slide them into a box or bucket. I dont even reload yet possibility I never will. Sent JLA a bunch of brass and have tons more but havent been shooting in awhile due to my shoulder.
  15. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

When i was a kid and w just moved down from the bush to the west of Sydney the old range at pitt town had a semi tamed magpie who'd pick up a shell fly to the bucket , drop the shell in and then get old erny would give it a seed or bit of mince

when erny became too ill they just put out the seed in a bowl next to the bucket and the bird helped himself but still collected all the shells casings , a two day break would see the bucket full , the bin full of shells too and the seed bowl empty and not a shell on the range

birds been dead 30 years now , earny 35 the range at pitt town gone now 20 or more ,

much prefer the old days eh ..