Collecting-up Spent Brass Casings

Discussion in 'Disabled Hunters & Shooters Forum' started by GConn, Apr 25, 2011.

1. pulltabbob

pulltabbob New Member

When I go to a public range, I usually shoot wheel guns or trap. My brass does not hit the ground. I have a pouch on my hip that I put the expended rounds in. When I put my range in a tunnel along side my house (underground) out about 100 feet. I installed shell traps that drop the brass into buckets under the netting. In my underground range, I get to develop a few rounds then immediately shoot them to see how they do. Get to shoot any day I want also. The shooting lane is 8 feet across and lined with wood with a large steel back drop canted 45 degrees down into a large sand box. Get to recycle all my lead too.
  2. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

I shoot at the club range. i pick up as much as I can find. we also have a collection barrel for those that want to donate it. One member has volunteered to deprime and clean it. It is then sold back to club members who reload, for a very low price.The money is used for club activities.Win all around!
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  3. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

I got $1.99/lb last when I went in june
  4. SFC

SFC New Member

I shoot at an indoor range and do not worry about the spent brass as it is swept up by he management. most the spent brass lands inside the firing line.

Although when hunting I do use a Ruger Super Redhawk 9.5" barrel 44 mag with a Leupold 2x8 scope and empty the cylinder into a box or bag.

I feel that all should police their brass to keep our nation clean and I really hate to see brass from perfectly able people could pick up, but just too lazy to do so.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  5. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

WORM, I just realized how bad you really are. I hope you gave those kids the BIGGEST Ice Cream cones Sonic had!
  6. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Got $1.99/lb again for yellow brass, but i can't complain about 20 free lbs.
  7. langenc

langenc Member

Summer 2011 brass here was about $1.95/pound.
  8. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

I use an old sheet or have dad or someone else look for where the shell lands. If unable to find them or by myself, I bring my metal detector out with me. That helps some.

I found some old 9mm that I shot 19-20 years ago with the metal detector. They were a few inches down in my parents back yard.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  9. Iron Eagle

Iron Eagle Well-Known Member

My Draco ak pistol throws them all over. I had a scrap piece of wood, and tossed it where most of them landed. It is a public range, because when I shot it at the house, people called the cops. Some folks a mile away complained! Sucker is loud!
  10. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

I find about 90 percent but i like the tarp idea,thats what ill do this weekend thanks for the tip.
  11. ares338

ares338 New Member

I am lucky that my wife and I also have about 24 acres we live on. An older pond on the back of our property was at a perfect elevation to use as a back stop for a home pistol range. We put out gravel at the shooting spot and compacted it making it easy to collect the brass, especially when the grandkids visit nd we make a game out of picking up the shiny things..lol.
  12. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

13. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

I use a Nut grabber also, I use a poly tarp also to stand or lay on.
  14. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

didnt know they had such a thing i want to order one is there any stores local that have these ie local gun shops or do I need to order from website?
  15. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

ryan, if you're asking about the nut-grabber, they are made for picking up nuts that fall from the trees. They sell them in a couple of hardware stores, around here, since we got lots of pecan trees in this area.

Or you could go here.
    http://www.nutwizard.com/