1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Collet Bushing Replacement

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by CC45, Aug 25, 2012.

1. CC45

CC45 New Member

Hello

I have Colt 1911 Series 70 with a Collet Barrel Bushing that I want to replace. I took the pistol apart today for the first time to clean & can't get the Collet bushing back in for some reason. It was very difficult to turn & remove it also. What brand is a drop in, Blue finish. Thanks
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Look closely at the fingers of the collet. They may be cracked. It is common.

Dont waste your time with a drop in bushing. Order an oversized Briley Spherical with the spherical ring .001" over muzzle diameter and have a local smith turn the bushing 'skirt' to fit your slide.
  3. marvin chapman

marvin chapman New Member

Your collet barrel bushing may be out of round. It may have been like this when it
    was installed in the slide at the factory.If it is or looks out of round, carefully use
    something to squeeze it back in shape so it will fit in the slide. Since it was hard to
    remove in the first place. also, it may be oversize .002-.003.
    good luck.
  4. Bigbill

Bigbill Member

I would get an over sized bushing or a national match barrel bushing and fit.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

update?
  6. AustinTx

AustinTx New Member

Too bad it won't go back, hope it isn't broken. I always thought the collet bushing was an excellent/cheap way, to fit the 1911 barrel to the bushing, without any slop. I finally got a 1911 Gold Cup Series 70 with the collet bushing and it works great, just keep it lubricated. I don't see why it should break as long as it's greased good.

I managed to get a new replacement and the original probably won't crack as long as I have a spare. I haven't ever seen a source for replacement collets. I just figured Colt made them and nobody liked them enough, for there to be a second source. I hope I'm wrong. I haven't found anyone that likes the collet bushing, in the 1911. I can always replace it with a standard part, if it does crack. It's just a range gun and good at that. The 1911 Gold Cup, with the collet bushing is the only one that I have seen (from Colt) that the barrel didn't have any slop at the muzzle. Colt suppliers a bushing wrench, with the Gold Cup/National Match guns, but I haven't figured out why. The bushing fit is always so sloppy, the wrench is just a joke, sorta.
  7. xbray

xbray New Member

Try installing it over the barrel first and then put it in the slide, with the barrel sticking out the front you should be able to settle the bushing in place.
  8. Archie

Archie Member

I think more of them were broken being removed and replaced than from shooting.

No scientific data to cite, just a personal observation.