Colt 100 year aniv 1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Squeak, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Squeak

Squeak Member

I'd like to hear some feedback from you fellow gun nuts out there about what do you think & what are your thoughts on the ANVII and ANVIII 100 year guns. Do you think they are worth buying as an investment or just plain a collectors item? I know they are hard to come by. Does that make them any more valuable? Talk to me.
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I'm thinking just a collector piece but in the next 200 years, who knows ??

Since I'm not a collector, I have no interest in one of these 1911's so I'm sure others will have a different opinion.

Would I purchase one ?? No. Reason being I would trick out the pistol to shoot very small groups. For the money spent on the 100th anv 1911, I could buy something else that I could shoot and enjoy.
  3. djjoshuad

djjoshuad New Member

I almost picked up a 100 year gun this weekend, but it was between that one and a Kimber. The Colt was a 5" with a rail... and as a collector weapon, I think it would have been a good purchase. I was really looking for a carry weapon though. The Kimber I bought was priced about $100 less!

If I find myself at another gun show with another grand to blow on yet another handgun... I will probably consider it again.
  4. Squeak

Squeak Member

The Colt 100 year anniversary guns don't have a rail. Did it say " 100 years of service "? Was it stainless? The anniversary guns are blue only.
  5. djjoshuad

djjoshuad New Member

it did say "100 years of service" on it, and the slide was stainless, yes. and it did have a rail. I thought all of the "100 years of service" guns were anniversary guns... isn't there another thread in this same forum from a guy who bought one with a stainless slide? including pics?

edit: Here's a link to that thread: http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=87565

stainless anniversary gun :)
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  6. djjoshuad

djjoshuad New Member

here's a pic: a 100 years gun, stainless, with rail:

[​IMG]
  7. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I have noticed Springfield Armory has a 100 years of service model. I don't think the 100th Anniversary Edition 1911's have rails or beavertail grip safetys.
  8. djjoshuad

djjoshuad New Member

the one above is a Colt... what's the difference between it and a 100th anniversary one? I thought the "100 years of service" is what denotes a 100th anniversary gun.
  9. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Sorry man, the 100 anniversary colt commemorative is a all blued and fully engraved, gold inlayed model and is built to the exact specs the John Browning developed 100 years ago. No hi rise beaver tails, 3 hole triggers or rails on these. Your is the 100 year marked colt and many of the models that colt is producing this year will be marked in a similar fashion. The 100 year commemorative is about 3500.00 depending on distributors. From what I know, none of them have hit the market in stores as of yet. The place I work for has 36 on backorder with no ship dates.
    I've seen and held the kimbers. Case hardened receivers with blue slides. Very nice looking gun but also bears a 4000.00 price tag.

Attached Files:

10. djjoshuad

djjoshuad New Member

ok so I just did some research... *all* Colt 1911 models produced for the 2011 run (including series 70, series 80, and the rail gun above) get the "100 years of service" rollmark. The 100th anniversay guns come in 3 models: O1911ANVI (I think only 1 made, being auctioned by the NRA - no MSRP), O1911ANVII (the one with all the gold plating and engraving - $2295 MSRP), and O1911ANVIII (the one described above, blued and sans rail - $1150 MSRP). All 3 of these models get special serial numbers to help identify their model numbers.

Even still, I would like a 2011 model Colt... it should prove to be the most collectible of modern years. That assumes that the "100 years of service" moniker is a 2011-only thing.

edit: in response to the above post, note the two models available to the public. One has a $2295 MSRP and the other has a $1150 MSRP. the one in the picture above (pearl handled, and gold inlay with "100 years at america's side" does not appear in the Colt catalog for this year, and likely is not one of the models I mentioned in this post. It may be some other 100th anniversary gun... I dunno, I'm a 1911 newbie :)

Link to the ANVI gun flyer: http://www.coltsmfg.com/LinkClick.a...s/1911 ANV I Description.pdf&tabid=40&mid=437

Link to the ANVII and ANVIII flyer: http://www.coltsmfg.com/LinkClick.a...ortals/0/panels/Colt-100.pdf&tabid=40&mid=437
  11. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Actually the ones to get are the 01911 series. The 2011 models that come with the roll mark will not appreciate in value to near the extent that the commemorative model will. Distributors have already marked these up 500.00 b/c of demand and only 1000 are being made. Everything that colt puts out will bear the roll mark this year. Depending on output that could be in the 10's of thousands.
  12. Squeak

Squeak Member

Unless the serial # is xxxx1911, it isn't the special edition one - - - and yes, the MSRP is $1,150 bucks. From what I can tell, it's all about the serial number ending in "1911". Am I correct about this?
  13. Squeak

Squeak Member

And another thing I might add - - - the anniversary model only has a safety lever on the left side.
  14. djjoshuad

djjoshuad New Member

you are correct - the ANVIII guns have serial numbers *ending in* 1911. The more expensive ANVII guns *start with* 1911. I'd be proud to have either... although I doubt I will :)
  15. Squeak

Squeak Member

Thanks! I didn't know about that beginning & ending serial number thing. If I keep getting informed like this I'll be almost as smart as my wife!! I already bought the cheaper (???) model ANVIII and I'm looking to find an ANVII, but from the sound of what I'm finding out, that probably won't happen. Expect delivery of my new toy hopefully by the end of this week. Have a great day.
  16. djjoshuad

djjoshuad New Member

If I may ask, did you get it for at or under MSRP? Apparently they're not limiting the number of these, they're just not taking any more orders after Nov. 30th. An unlimited number, as long as it's ordered by then... so the end result will be a limited number, lol. If you got it for MSRP or better, please PM me the name of the place. I might be interested in ordering one. Thanks!
  17. Squeak

Squeak Member

No, I had to pay MSRP - - - $1,150 plus shipping and plus the $30.00 FFL transfer fee from the local gun shop. But, never the less, I feel kinda lucky to have found one regardless of how many they end up making - - - and yes, it is my understanding that the production is unlimited, but try to find one of these things no matter where ya look.
  18. Squeak

Squeak Member

Thanks LeverGunner. This whole thing is getting interestinger and interestinger all the time. I love this forum! Anybody else out there looking for a ANV II or ANVIII and please let us know what kind of luck you're having and how much the dealers are asking for them.
  19. ivarr

ivarr New Member

ed brown is doing two 100 year commemorative pistols as well, and they look REALLY good

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. Brian48

Brian48 New Member

Just my opinion, but I think the true centennial gun has already been out. I live in MA so I can't get one of these, but the Colt 01918 would be my top choice.

http://www.m1911.org/ezine/ColtO1918.htm