Colt 1851 Navy discovered....

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by jimbofoxman, Apr 12, 2007.

1. jimbofoxman

jimbofoxman New Member

I am buying my childhood home from my dad. He told me that in a couple boxes were his grandpa's and dad's old guns (so my Great Grandpa and Grandpa).

Well, upon digging into the boxes.............what do I find....

1851 Colt Navy Revolver, all matching serial numbers 64167. Looking at another post here that used ProofHouse.com, looking at my serial number puts this one in the 1856 making of the gun.

I'll get some pics posted when I can. But can anyone tell who this gun would of been issued to, or what company it was issued to in the military? It has the US marking under the COLTS PATENT. There is a V stamped into the left side of the forward trigger protector.
  2. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Pictures!
  3. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

lucky dawg....can't wait to see some pics
  4. jimbofoxman

jimbofoxman New Member

Ok, got around to taking some pics. Here is a single shot of it. Serial Numbers all match, 64167. I'll take some more pics and get them posted as well.

Top of barrel says: Address SamL New York City (has a punched M after that).

Sailing ships on the barrel are worn in places.

On the same side of the gun as in the pic 1 and pic 3, right below the front of the barrel it says COLT PATENT, then in a different looking stamp under it is says U.S.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  5. antiquerestorer

antiquerestorer New Member

Have 2 New army remingtons from 1863 that I found while renovating a home in Washington, DC back in the 70's. They were located behind the plaster wall which I tore out and there they were wrapped in old linen waiting for me to bring them out in the light. Never knew who put them there but they are now in my collection and this is what got me hooked on Civil war relics....sold a rifle and went hunting for relics for 25 yrs...Nothing yet beats the 2 remingtons....enjoy....they are a part of our nations history..
  6. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

If the damm rebel criminals wouldn't have burned up most ocf Colt's records you probably would have been able to see their copy of the invoice as to who was the original buyer....but because of the fire, any tracking through Colt is spotty at best, but it would be worth a shot to try ....
  7. charagrin

charagrin Former Guest

I had a 1851 Navy also but I think it was a repro. There was no writing or numbers anywhere on the gun except on the barrel and inside the grip. On the barrel it says Colt .44 caliber percussion and inside the grips was something like 231-04. And the name Mike Jennyson. Thats about all I can remember.
    Last edited: May 1, 2007