Colt 1851 Navy

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by coltfan09, Jul 12, 2009.

1. coltfan09

coltfan09 New Member

I am looking for some information on what I belive to be a colt model 1851 Navy. I have looked at the Colt web site but they indicate they don't go back as far as I need with their records. It has been engraved, has gold inlay, and has engraving that indicates it was given to an officer in 1853. I want to try and determine if it came from the factory or if it is original. Any help would be great. Thanks.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

First, you need to be sure that it is a Colt.

The only way to be sure it came from the factory like that is to get a factory letter. Colt charges (running on memory here, the link I had to the price list is not good anymore) a minimum of 200 dollars to research a cap-n-ball revolver. If they find out there was anything "special" about it, they tack on a higher charge. If it was factory engraved - that info costs more. If the gold inlay is factory, that adds to the letter price. If it happened to have been bought by somebody famous (Bill Hickok, US Grant, JEB Stuart, like that) it add a whole bunch to the letter price. Probably worth it, though, 'cause a letter can add a butt-load of value to the gun.