Colt 1851 Navy

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by midlifevette, Mar 19, 2011.

1. midlifevette

midlifevette New Member

What is the purpose of the "wedge screw" on my Pietta Colt 1851 Navy black powder revolver. I just got it today and I've read lots of information about removing the wedge but no where does it say anything about the wedge screw. Thanks, Ken
  2. rdstrain49

rdstrain49 New Member

It's to keep you from losing the wedge.
  3. Gatofeo

Gatofeo New Member

Remote Utah desert, separated from Oblivion by a s
    Yep, keeps the wedge from coming all the way out, and losing it.
    Remember, these revolvers were made for customers that were often hundreds of miles from the nearest supply or repair point. If a part broke or was lost, they had to repair it themselves or make a new part.
    And if you lost the wedge on hostile ground, your life was in jeopardy.

I've read that cap and ball revolvers retained their popularity into the 1880s, especially in remote areas, because they didn't require a specialized cartridge like the newfangled guns. As long as you had caps, scrap lead, powder and a bullet mould, you could keep a cap and ball revolver going.
    Reloading for cartridge guns apparently didn't become too common until the 1880s.
    More than a few old Colt revolvers have surfaced with homemade repairs because of missing or broken parts. Unfortunately, these handmade parts are often replaced with factory parts and discarded.
    Oh, the stories these old Colts with their handmade parts might tell, if they could speak!
  4. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

The wedge screw on originals served as a wedge stop to keep it from being installed too deeply but it doesn't work that way on repros. Now it just keeps the wedge from coming all the way out as was stated in another post.
  5. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

Hawg you are so right, as always. :)Good Luck

RC