Colt 1860 Army Repro Shoulder Stock

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 23, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/20/01 5:21:05 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Colt 1860 army
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yo Doc and anyone else that may know where I can get a REPRO shoulder stock for this. Appreciate any an all leads.

Psst! She aint BP any longer> Grin smile smirk

LTS u'd cry if ya saw this ol gal! Ask TTL

Edited by: ibtrukn at: 11/20/01 5:22:45 pm

TallTLynn
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (11/20/01 5:27:26 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Colt 1860 army
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LTS - he's right she's one sweet looking gun!

Hell, I'm still drooling over it (the picture that is).

LIKTOSHOOT
    (11/20/01 5:35:08 pm)
    Not sure I understand the laws, concerning that......since it`s been converted to metalic cases.

Used to have a Horse Pistol......all 6lbs of it, man would it take a charge of 4fg...65gr.s a chamber under a rb.
    America, we are the symbol of Freedom and Liberty......

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/21/01 9:38:10 am)
    LTS I want the shoulder stock, an wood appreciate any an all help to locate one. aint brakin any laws if it aint on the gun.....HONEST!!!

AntiqueDr
    (11/21/01 10:16:17 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Colt 1860 army
    Here's the deal on this. First, Navy Arms has the repro shoulder stock.

Now the bad news. I am assuming this is an original 1860 Army with a non-original (meaning post-1899) cartridge conversion. As such, attaching the shoulder stock constitutes manufacturing a short-barrelled rifle. In fact, possession of the shoulder stock and the converted pistol constitutes a short-barrelled rifle, even if not attached. Now, if you have an original 1860 Army with pre-1899 cartridge conversion, say to .44 Rimfire, it is perfectly legal as that is not a 'firearm' in ATF's view. OR, if the 1860 Army is still cap-and-ball it is legal, regardless if the gun is original or reproduction.

There are some conversion cylinders currently on the market that just change out with your original BP cylinder, although I dont remember if they are available for the '60 or not. Should you have one of those, possession of the shoulder stock would be legal provided it is only attached with the black powder cylinder in place.

I didnt post this reply until I had the opportunity to verify with the ATF Firearms Technology Branch.
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/21/01 10:31:45 am)
    OK Doc Thanx

polishshooter
    (12/5/01 9:36:28 pm)
    And Ditto what DOC said, about the legality, if it was an actual cartridge conversion done pre 1898 it SHOULD be an antique and not covered, but if after '98 PROBABLY then a class III weapon if attached.

And check out Dixie Gun Works, I THINK they are www.DGW.com

I'll check...

I know they have some that will fit both originals and repros....
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

Edited by: polishshooter at: 12/5/01 9:37:18 pm