1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Colt 1873 engraved revolver (large pics)

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by 1952Sniper, Nov 3, 2006.

1. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

This does not belong to me. I'm trying to find info for a friend who recently got this revolver in trade.

My preliminary research shows that it might be very rare. As you can see in these links, it looks very similar to this.

http://www.witherells.com/inventory/popup/colt2.htm
    http://witherells.com/inventory/images/colt2.jpg
    http://witherells.com/inventory/images/colt12.jpg

I realize, of course, that a letter from Colt would set the question to rest. But does anyone have any additional information that could help me pin a value to this revolver? Or find out more information? Its info is as follows:

Single action revolver, 6 shot cylinder, 4-3/4" barrel, 45 Long Colt

Serial number 3366XX

The left side of the frame says:
    PAT SEPT 19 1871
    JULY 2 72 JAN.19.75

Top of barrel says:
    COLTS PT F.A. MFG Co
    HARTFORD. CT. U.S.A.

It's engraved, although I cannot verify that it's factory engraved. It's nickel plated. Grips appear to be pearl, and it has a longhorn on the right grip (both grips have the Colt coin-style logo). I have to admit, the longhorn on the right grip looks pretty crude. It's pretty worn down, so I'm hoping it looked better than that originally. The engraving looks VERY similar to the second link I posted above.

My first reaction was that it was a reproduction, with the "Jan.19.75" date on it. However, from what I read elsewhere on the net, that is a date of January 19, 1875, not a date of January 1975.

Any info would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2006
  2. Goody

Goody Member

It does not appear to be a repro, it is IMHO a prewar Colt SAA. Don't have list in front of me but they ranged from 175000 to 358000 from 1900-1940. The only way to know for sure if it is factory engraved is with a Colt letter. It can mean a substantial difference in value. In any case it would bring a tidy sum.

By the way, the model is 1873, not 1871. 1871 is one of the patent dates for this revolver. The official designation was Single Action Army (SAA). Known also as the Peacemaker.
  3. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Thanks for the info, I'll update the title to show the correct model number.

*edit: nevermind, it won't let me edit the title.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2006
  4. johnston3407

johnston3407 New Member

It's BEAUTIFUL!!!! Nice pics.
  5. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

1952 even if your friend had to trade his house I think it was worth it :D
  6. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Definitely a striking gun. What did your friend trade away to get it?
  7. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

probobly his first born;)
  8. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

52.....the potential value of this SAA is very high. It definitely needs a Colt Letter!!!
  9. stash247

stash247 New Member

Sniper, a $35 letter is cheap safety net; if you, or your friend, can't or won't make the request, you have no business drooling over this revolver; If it proves up, it is a $5-6,000 revolver, at the least, if not, a mistake of the same proportion!
    Do what you gotta do!
  10. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

I think the letters are up around $150 these days. In any event, if you want to play with the big boys, you can't pinch pennies. Chances are the letter will disappoint you, but you have no choice if you want to play the game.
  11. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

Las IB herd da Colt letters are aroun $300, an if da gun DOES NOT letter they still bag U a tidy sum. Serial # indicates 1917 bild date. If there R NE socalled colt "xperts" in the area run it buy them. Ortake it 2 a gunshow or 2. If a cupple dudes makes imediate offers to buy, chances R U got "something" mebbe then a letter to Colt. If it letters out U got a HOMRUN!!:cool:

IB jus dunno Y IB so good 2 everbudy. mus B slippin-------:cool:
  12. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

13. durk

durk New Member

I hope someone spends the money on a letter for this thing. I really want to know what this is worth now. I hope this is not going to be like a movie that just ends without knowing what happens. I hate those movies.
  14. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

YO X, IB stand corrected. IB never rong, sumtimes jus misinformed
  15. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    A little gaudy on the engraving......but I'll give ya a hundred bucks fot it....:D