1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

colt 1902 sportsman 38 S/N 4x62

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by colt-level1, Dec 31, 2010.

1. colt-level1

colt-level1 New Member

today a friend called me to let me know he is selling his 1902 colt sportsman 38. with the S/N 4x62 ( conditions are 50% overall) i heard from a friend that this pistol S/N started in the 46xx and i would like to know what could be a good price for this pistol, i will look at it tomorrow and post some pics, but since is one of the very firstones, How much should i offer for it ? I have never owned a 1902 colt 38 and I am really interested on this one, if anyone can help me with an idea of what woul be a good deal for this, thanks in advance.
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Value depends so much on condition that I would like to reserve a comment on that until you can post pictures.

Just in general, though, never fire .38 Super or equivalent handloads through those old dual link guns. They won't take the higher pressures. Also, note that takedown involves removing the front "wedge" or "key" (which Colt called the "slide stop"). Many guns have been damaged by attempts to drive it out, when all that is needed is to push in the spring cap at the muzzle under the barrel and the wedge falls out. Note that if the gun is fired without that wedge, the slide will come back in the shooter's face.

Jim