Colt 1903 .32 made in 1934

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by rhood, Dec 10, 2009.

1. rhood

rhood New Member

Pick this baby up last night beautiful condition
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Man, it looks brand new!

I have a 1903 Colt Pocket Pistol in 32ACP made in 1904. While not a collector piece, since it had been re-blued at some point in the last 100+years, it looks really good and it shoots really good. This little gun is accurate. I think it a better match for me than a collectable since I shoot ALL my guns. There are no wall hanger guns at my house! I do appreciate guns like yours but I most certainly would not consider shooting it (or owning it).

LDBennett
  3. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

beautiful example of a fine handgun
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I'll say, as I always do about those guns, don't detail strip them. They come apart a lot easier than they go back together. Unlike the 1911, they were not intended to be taken apart in the field or for fun.

Jim
  5. 56/50

56/50 New Member

I hope I'm wrong but I think this beauty may be a real good re-blueing job!! The lightness around the grips and the grips themselves are not original, and in R.L.Wilsons book on Colts he doesn't show these grips! I have a 1903 made in 1911 #100*** has black plastic grips with "COLT" in large letters at the top!! The only thing I can think of, where the #'s and year are so far apart ( from yours to mine that is) maybe the grips are from a newer year!! Also the logo for the year's and place of manufacture are different on the left side, mine coincides with the one in the photo's in Wilson's book! Mine has the same grips that are in the pamphlete under the gun!! No matter what, it sure is a beauty and I have no problem at all in takedown or putting back in operation!! Does it say COLT .32 auto on bottom of mag?? Joe L.
  6. rhood

rhood New Member

Yes it does say colt .32 and it was made in 1934 an is in 100% original condition
  7. 56/50

56/50 New Member

rhood: I just saw your mesage after mine and I'll tell you something!! I used to build and or restore Chrysler 60-70's muscle cars and any original classic whether it's a car or gun is priceless today and as far as I'm concerned deserve proper recognization for what they represent, beauty, workmanship, design, and longevity, and I would be "PROUD" to own your 1903 whatever the condition alongside my 1903, they all deserve a rightfull place in history!! And if I offended you I apologize,for no offense was ever intended, for our forums the protection of our civil rights are the REAL opposition, NEVER ourselves!! By the way, many of the cars I restored are still around and that was over 15yrs. ago when I moved back to my first love history and historical weapons, and all things history related!! Joe L.
  8. Kestral

Kestral Member

Not to the same standard as yours,but a well loved pistol & very accurate,Mine was issued to the British ww2 spy lot,Dont know if you can read the markings,Crown over V plus a broad arrow nearby.mag marked cal.32 colt,s/n 379527 so not knowing the year allocations would assume 1912 or so.

Attached Files:

9. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

serial number 379527 was made in 1921
  10. Kestral

Kestral Member

Thanks Oscarmayer,its nice to have that extra bit if history/knowledge,I wonder if the original factory assembler is still around ?? at best he would be 90 plus.
  11. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

:eek: if he started working at colt when he was 10 yrs old in 1921 he'd be 98 by now
  12. rhood

rhood New Member

56/50
    No offense taken here I know what I got . I love these old Colts too. I would love to see a photo of your's. I also have a WWI Colt 1911 and a WWII Colt 1911A1 in the same condition.
    Happy New Year
  13. 56/50

56/50 New Member

rhood: I appreciate that, sometimes our love for these amazing machines makes us perfectionists, but never is it intended to insult or degrade anyone with the same interest in these great old timers!! I will get some pictures together asap! I'm a book person and computers are a reluctant addition to the collecting field, it may have some advantages but my library of somewhere between 2-3000 books and about 50-75 firearms books makes referencing an in home issue!! I have a 1849 Colt pocket, 1851 navy, 1903 colt .32., a 1911 ( made at the end of WW1 ), and maybe one more that slips my mind at the moment and a 1911-A1 by A O!! I'll get my act together and get some photo's together for you!! Happy New Year!! Joe LO.
  14. 56/50

56/50 New Member

rhood: P.S. mine is the same as Kestrals and it's oops Joe L. not Joe LO,Dah!!
  15. 56/50

56/50 New Member

rhood: I've finally got off my butt and went through my collection and have 8 Colts!! 1849 pocket, 1851 Navy, 1892 D.A. 38( Spanish American War w/ original holster and a Lt. Mac****** engraved on the inside of the back but very hard to see), 1909 .45 LC new series army, D.A. 45 ACP 1917 also a new series army, 1903 .32 Colt hammerless, 1919 .38 police positive and a 1911 .45 ACP late 1918!! I've got pictures now but I've never wanted to send them or I should say,KNEW how to send them!! Like I've said before, computers are OK but I don't live or die with or without them, my bag is books the proverbial written word that's my thing!! But if I've gotten this far, so how the hell do yah send pic's w/ email?? Joe L.
  16. CJKarl

CJKarl New Member

Sure is pretty, but why is the magazine so worn?
  17. CJKarl

CJKarl New Member

My old girl. [​IMG][/IMG]
  18. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Hi, rhood, for that serial number, those grips are correct, and I think I am safe in saying that that gun has NOT been reblued. The magazine does not appear worn at all; the two-tone color is correct for original Colt magazines of that period.

Hi, Kestral, not to doubt anyone's word, but if there is no solid documentation the story that the gun was issued to British spies is just a story. The British proof marks mean only that at one time the gun was on the market in England; the broad arrow would indicate British government ownership at some time. But neither show any direct association with spies. There are several possibilities, but unless there is some other evidence, any guess is as good as any other.

Jim
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2010