colt 1903 pocket hammerless .32

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by jacob, May 26, 2010.

1. jacob

jacob New Member

Trying to bring back an old pocket pistol type 3

I have a Sig 226 and can dry fire it when cycling the slide.

Question is..... Can the Colt dry fire with out the magazine being in the well or does it have to be in to do so??

Don't have any mags and would like to know if I have everything put back the it should be before I do anymore or just jump right to a smith who knows what they are doing.

Thanks for the help
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

It depends.

Colt made three versions, and the "3rd Model" has a magazine disconnect.

Do you know how to field strip the gun? If so, break it down and look at the guide rod, for the recoil spring.http://www.marstar.ca/images/Colt32num.GIF Part #12 in this picture. See the teat on the back end of it? That teat goes through a hole in the frame and pushes this thingy backwards, into the magazine well. The thingy (don't you love technical terms?) being pushed back blocks the trigger. Putting the mag in pushes the thingy forward, and unblocks the trigger.

If your guide rod does not have a teat on it, then you either do not have a gun with a magazine disconnect, or someone has replaced the guide rod, to disconnect the disconnect feature.

If your rod does have the teat, you can either grind the teat off (I don't suggest this, as it modifies your gun, and lowers the value), replace the guide rod with one of the earlier models that don't have the teat, or do like I did, which was cut a 16d nail to size, polish it to remove any burrs, and cold-blue it to prevent rust. If I ever want to make the gun "original" again, I just need to replace the nail with the original rod.

If you just want to check your gun's trigger, without having a magazine, you can stick a knife blade (or something similar) up the magazine well, and push that thingy forward.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Depends on the serial number. The original guns had no magazine safety, but one was installed on the .32 Pocket Model Hammerless starting at serial number 468097, in 1926.

The above description of the working is not quite correct. The plunger inside the recoil spring guide has its own spring; it does not (and should not) depend on the recoil spring. It protrudes through the frame and pushes on the front of a part called the safety depressor which, in turn, pushes the trigger bar down out of reach of the sear. When a magazine is inserted, it pushes the safety depressor forward, allowing the trigger bar to rise and engage the safety.

Jim
    Last edited: May 26, 2010
  4. jacob

jacob New Member

Well there's no teat on the rail and it is original to it. I just got it back from one smith, I needed the springs replaced in the grip to start with due to them being rusted out.

Did find the guide rail was not in the right place when I took it apart, serial number is 285,8**. Going by what I could find on the net It "should be" a model 3
  5. jacob

jacob New Member

Was just trying the firing again... it seems it will dry fire if pointed down, not up nor streight just down. Think I need a new smith
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

You may need a new sear spring, or the one that is there put in properly. The horrid fact is that even some otherwise competent gunsmiths are flummoxed by that gun. It is not easy to dis- and re-assemble.

I don't know what you mean by the "rail"; the "teat" (if present) is in the rear of the round recoil spring guide.

Jim
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if it does have the magazine disconnect, but has the older guide rod (without the teat) so the guide rod is not pushing the disconnect in place. When pointing down, gravity is pulling the disconnect out of place, but when held correctly, the disconnect is falling backward and, well, "disconnecting".

If that made sense to anyone else but me. :)
  8. jacob

jacob New Member

Sorry about that I ment the spring guide. I looked in where it seats and there is no opening there or in the mag well area. At this point I'm not sure anymore it is a model 3.

I tried to put the springs in myself, and after alot of screaming I took it to a smith. When I picked it up even he mentioned that it took 3 people to work on it to get the grip springs in.
  9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Actually, reassembly is fairly simple once you learn a couple of tricks, but my advice is always not to take those guns apart beyond field stripping. Many people know the 1911 and think all Browning designs were meant to be taken down as easily. Not so; the 1911 is that simple in part because the army beat Johnny over the head until he made it simple. His other designs are often very complex and best tackled by a gunsmith who knows what he is doing.

Tip on reassembling the Model 1903/1908 Hammerless: Install the sear spring, mainspring and grip safety. Then grab the gun as if firing, squeeze the trigger and grip safety at the same time and you will see an opening at the top of the frame. Drop the hammer in, and insert the safety (the safety is also the hammer pin).

Jim