The Firearms Forum banner

Colt 1908 380 hammerless

6K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  jstgsn 
#1 ·
Gentlemen

I have searched prior to registration and did not find an exact answer for this old pistol that has been passed down for 3 generations. Looked around the internet and did not find a answer as well....
What I am hoping to find is a good guesstimate on value (in $$) for this gun and possibly the manufacture date.
Wood Grips are in good shape and believe original
Finish is about 85 - 90 % original
S/N 92989
Some scratches and imperfections (see Pic)
I think most of its life it has been in storage although it was carried as a back-up for a officer in Seattle for a while --- Of course a pic is worth......

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
A nice gun, but it has been reblued. It's a pretty good job, and looks to have been buffed by hand on a flat surface rather than on a wheel, but it is blued over scratches and further doesn't look like the factory blue of the period. Also note the grips are worn, far too much for a pistol that at first looks near new. Sorry, not a $900-1000 gun, more like a $400 gun. It is a good shooter, though, and one tough gun.

Jim

#7 ·
A nice gun, but it has been reblued. It's a pretty good job, and looks to have been buffed by hand on a flat surface rather than on a wheel, but it is blued over scratches and further doesn't look like the factory blue of the period. Also note the grips are worn, far too much for a pistol that at first looks near new. Sorry, not a $900-1000 gun, more like a $400 gun. It is a good shooter, though, and one tough gun.

Jim
Good point about the re-blue - had not noticed that the scratches were blued over. although not too upset about the value as I don't intend to sell. Belonged to my grandfather and will remain in the family. Has not been fired in almost a decade because of a cracked/broken hammer so now I need to find a replacement or have it repaired.

Thanks to all for your time and trouble helping me on this!

#8 ·
Having read Jim's post, I have to agree that the frame is probably redone or possibly "helped" with cold blue on the left side on the trigger guard and around the serial number, but the slide still looks good to me, looking at the "pony' being very sharp and slide serrations being so crisp...

#11 ·
I have to think it would look great with a picture of your grandfather (if it exists) or at least a couple paragraphs describing his life, with the gun mounted on velvet beside it. Years from now it will be appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.