Colt 1908 Pocket Identification

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

omega252
    (7/22/02 11:23:47 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All what is this??
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    this is a gun that my Mom carried for many years. I always thought it was a Colt, but now I find no markings of any kind regarding manufacturer or even caliber. It is a 25 auto nickle plated gun. Not a cheapie as it is all steel and not die cast. She had it for about 50 years

All I can find is a serial number and the numder 5 at the rear of the trigger guard. Thoughts??
    photos.imageevent.com/joe...000165.jpg

photos.imageevent.com/joe...000166.jpg
    Omega

Edited by: omega252 at: 7/22/02 12:53:58 pm

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/22/02 11:37:12 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: what is this??
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It is a Colt 1908 Pocket Model .25 auto that someone has badly renickeled.
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

omega252
    (7/22/02 11:42:36 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: what is this??
    that was my first thought, but the serial number is just as sharp as ever, and there is absolutely no hint of there ever being any other markings on this gun. If it had been polished out one could tell it.

Omega

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/22/02 3:50:51 pm)
    That being the case, my guess would be that it's a Spanish copy of the Colt/Browning .25 Auto.

Maybe Bob could be of some help.

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/22/02 4:32:39 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    It is Colt.

The poor polishing is evident even in the pictures. The slide edges are rounded and no longer in the right place. Pin holes are dished in the frame.

The 1908's and 1903's are notorious for soft slides. It is almost impossible to polish the flats without removing lettering, especially if there ANY pitting to remove. No matter how carefully we polish, we routinely have to recut some of the lettering and the Rampant Colt on these pistols after polishing and prior to finishing. Dummy pins should be placed in the frame prior to polishing (the orginal pins have rounded heads which would otherwise be polished out of round).

www.apaxenterprises.com

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/22/02 8:14:43 pm)
    The serial number dies are definately Colt - none of the Spanish firearms have that nice of numbering. Another give away is the slide stop cut, and the checkering on the slide stop - definately Colt.

It ain't no Spaniard, dang it!
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

omega252
    (7/23/02 2:42:03 pm)
    I laid a machinist scale against the side of the slide, held it to the light and it is still flat as can be. Also the tops of the serrations match the height of the rest of the slide and are not flat on top as I would expect them to be had enough metal been polished off to remove the stamping.

The picture does indeed look like a bad job of re-nickleing but the picture ain't that good. I am not a photographer--just an old retired machinist.

With all respect to those who think other wise, I really think that this gun never was stamped, that is other than the serial number. But--why??

It's a puzzlement.
    Omega

bullelk
    (7/23/02 5:04:00 pm)
    omega,
    Call Colt, they may be able to help you. Ask for the Historian. Have the gun in front of you when you call.

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/23/02 6:41:42 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    I give.
    www.apaxenterprises.com

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/23/02 8:08:03 pm)
    I think Doc`s got this down pat and some just aren`t paying attention. If I had the smarts to post a picture of one, not reworked......you would see the drastic difference in the slide, it is not rounded. Placing a straight edge down the slide means nothing, let alone how far the center line has moved from the slide serations center line. It has been over buffed, to say the least. Worth nothing except as a personal prize, enjoy the memories. LTS