Colt 1909 DA 45

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by hoghunter, Jun 30, 2010.

1. hoghunter

hoghunter New Member

Would like to know value of a Colt 1909 DA 45 marked U.S.Army on butt with swivel sling. This pistol is in very good to excellent condition but it has been reblued. Thanks
  2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

these bring good money , but the fact it has been reblued hurts unless it was done at colt and you have documents to back that up. without seeing a picture it's hard to put a value on this gun , but just to help you get a ballpark idea a un-refinished reblued 1909 da 45 lc goes for around 1500.00 to 1700.00
  3. oneshot onekill

oneshot onekill New Member

The last refinished one I bought was $300.00. Got it at a Pawn Shop. I just wanted a "shooter".
  4. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

that was a good deal . 50 to 75 % condition colts like this go for 500 to 700 in my area.
  5. oneshot onekill

oneshot onekill New Member

Probably should mention it was Nickel! But to tell you the truth, it looked really well done. All markings clear and sharp, no wavey look to it. If it wasn't for all the military markings on it I would have thought it was original. Shot well too...
  6. Shep

Shep Member

I have one just like it, and mine is also a reblue. I gave $400 for it about 6 or 7 years ago. Was recently offered $525 for it, but turned it down.
    Generally reblued colts are worth less than half what one in original condition is worth even when the reblue is nicely done.

[​IMG]
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That gun is probably the most overlooked U.S. service pistol. Most writers and other "experts" will say that the Model 1911 pistol replaced the series of .38 revolvers adopted beginning in 1892. But in 1908 the Army, having no way of knowing when, if ever, a suitable auto pistol would be found, decided to adopt a .45 caliber revolver to replace the .38's that had failed in the Philippines. The Model 1909 was that gun. Some contend the Model 1909 was merely purchased as a stopgap, not really adopted. But the guns were contracted for, specially marked, and given a model number; manuals were prepared and printed, and holsters were made by RIA. (In fact many of the holsters later used with the Model 1917 revolver(s) were Model 1909 holsters.)

Model 1909's were shipped to the Philippines (still in a state of insurrection) about as fast as they came from Colt, which is why ones in original top condition are scarce. They were used, and used hard. One use was as a control in the ongoing test program for auto pistols. It is seldom mentioned that in the famous Colt-Savage tests that led to adoption of the Colt pistol as the Model 1911, two Model 1909 revolvers kept pace, round for round. The auto pistols' failures are well known. What is not well known is that the two Colt revolvers had exactly two failures, both due to dud primers in the cartridges.

Jim